Pioneer VSX-29TX A/V Receivers

3.83/5 (60 Reviews) MSRP : $2300.00

A/V receiver - DTS,THX - 120w X 5 channels - Crystal 24-bit A/D Converters, Motorola 24-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP56362), Burr Brown 96k / 24-bit D/A Converters - 4 Digital Inputs and 1 Digital Output - 4 Digital Inputs and 1 Digital Output - 5 Audio Inputs - 5 Audio/Video Inputs

Submitted by zippychimp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've had the Pioneer VSX-29TX Elite receiver for about 10 years. Paid a pretty penny back in the day and it has performed well in light usage. It does get very hot when it has been left on for awhile as well.

Recently, it has begun to shut itself off when in use. After turning it back on, it will work for awhile but then it will eventually turn itself off. Does anyone know what could be a cause/solution for this? Would hate to get rid of it if this can be fixed for a reasonable cost.

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and if anyone can recommend a repair service in the area or solution, I would be in appreciation.

Thanks.

Submitted by ericbk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Recently bought this receiver to replace my Elite VSX-97, which (up 'till now) was one of the best receivers I have ever used. The VSX-97's only downfall was the lack of digital inputs.
To those who ask for more power, I suggest more efficient speakers - this VSX-29 will shake the walls.
Having done some homework, I found some of these receivers had a defective DSP board, or solder joints on the board. I would feel the ones prone to failure have already failed - or possibly owners were not aware of the amount of heat generated in these electronic receivers? I have always kept a small box fan on top of my receiver to aid the convection cooling.
This receiver has plenty of power, great frequency response, and great looks. I find it has plenty of inputs and controls, without having to be an electronics engineer to use. The remote is great - but never lose or break it - a replacement will set you back quite a bit.
I am ready to use this Pioneer for another 10 years....

Submitted by eric a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Purchased this used (already 10 years old) to replace my older Elite receiver that lacked digital inputs. To those who say "more power", I suggest more efficient speakers - this receiver will shake the walls.
Evidently, some of these receivers were plagued with a DSP board failure. I think the weaker ones have been weeded out - or possibly owners were not aware of just how much heat is generated in electronic components - I have always kept a small fan on top of my receiver to aid convection cooling. So far, the power, frequency response, digital processing is great. This receiver has more than enough functions, controls and inputs, without having to be an electronics engineer to use. I have it hooked up to a Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, satellite, HD tuner, and of course a Pioneer 300 CD changer.... The effects when watching a movie are phenomenal.
I am prepared for another 10 year experience with a Pioneer receiver.

Submitted by Tom a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
This thing kills me. I purchased the Pioneer VSX 29TX 6 or 7 years ago. and it NEVER worked !

So here it sits in my rack while I listen to my Kenwood from 20 years ago, that still sounds respectable.

This thing was in chage shop 2x and when I got it home, boom, same thing, like the sound was under water or something.

I am really pissed.

Its way out of warranty, its sitting here with an hour or two on it, and i am drinking.

Oh well.

Thanks ! Im not the only one I guess.

Tom

Submitted by davidhutt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
This unit was awesome. The 5.1 sound was better than non Pioneer units. We found the sound via digital optical was harsher (still great) that with digital coax. This was a suprise to me since it is digital, not analog for those inputs. The multi-room works very well and the remote is still my favorite remote. The setup and testing options through the remote works very well for setting the 5.1 levels of each speaker to fit/match the room. This unit runs hotter than expected see the weaknesses section below. I purchased a second unit for another part of the house because I like it so much and have recommended this unit as well as other Pioneer Elite products to numerous other local people. But...

Purchased At:   Mission Audo