Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX A/V Receivers

4.75/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $846.95

Custom Multi-Channel Digital A/V Receiver

Submitted by xxhanhxx a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
Sound processing is great for HT and two channel setup. Used with a separate Onkyo M508 amp, produces detailed, transparent, and overall smooth-non fatiguing sound. Highly recommened.

Purchased At:   Josh Lehman

Submitted by boxand1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an outstanding product from Pioneer. The levels are clean and the soundstage is pure. I upgraded from a Technics receiver and decoder, and this is leagues ahead of them. The rear channels came alive and the fronts and centers were far more accurate. Truth be told, the video quality (s-video) improved drastically between the two sets!

I don't have a single complaint about this receiver. The MCACC does wonders for the sound and is a quick and easy fix for those of us who do not want to pull out the SPL and take measurements.

I don't know if the THX certification does any good, but it's kind of impressive to see on the faceplate, regardless.

For those of you who are complaining about the weight--it is heavy--THAT'S A GOOD THING. The 49Tx is 20 pounds heavier and is even better than this. The equipment involved is better and the weight also indicates, to some degree, the quality of the unit.

I recommend this gear completely. I researched for at least 6 months, left nothing to chance, and couldn't be happier. (well, maybe a sunfire...)

Purchased At:   Etronics.com

Submitted by vmasliah a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've used Sony (once good enough and cheap with lots of toys but I've been corrupted by hearing other "high-end" stuff) Onkyo (what's the big deal about them?) Older model Fosgates (great quality but too expensive to buy a new one with DPL II) Sunfire (limited inputs and hated the controls so much I rarely used it) THis Pioneer takes the cake when you include as whole: sound, price, and ease of use. The best unit I've owned yet. Sounds great, love the price, looks good, well constructed. For those who complain about the weight, that is a result of its quality and power, that's not a bad thing! All high-end equipment weighs more than cheap for a reason; there's Stuff in the box. Love DPL II 7-channel modes too!

Purchased At:   Uncle Tom's Video, N

Submitted by Kursun a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ever since I read review down below by “flatline” I have thought there is something not sincere about the review. I can’t understand the motivation of “flatline” but I believe that review is a great disservice to the audioreview readers.

I now have been using the VSX-D2011 (Elite VSX-45TX) for more than 6 months. “flatline” says, “The Pioneer warms up the forward sounding Klipshes nicely and they never sound strained.”. Though as an audio enthusiast I don’t agree with his speaker choice, I can say that Pioneers have usually been accused of being forward sounding, not warm. “flatline” says, “Setup with MCACC was very accurate... ...Similar control on the subwoofer output would have been nice though.“ Same control is available on the subwoofer as one of the MCACC points is at 63 Hz. “The learning feature "filled up" with commands after only the second device...”, says “flatline”. Well, my remote commands 5 components plus an air conditioner, how come?

I can not understand how come the 45TX never clips at the shop at full volume, yet clips at 96 db SPL at 80 Hz., at 99 db SPL at 100 Hz., and 104 db SPL at 150 Hz.. with his highly efficient 96 db/2.83V/1 m. speakers. This almost means that he says his amp clips at 1W at 80Hz, at 2W at 100Hz, and less than 8W at 150 Hz. Complete nonsense! By the way when you take output measurements you specify the input voltage not the position of the volume control! It is clear that it’s the speakers driven to distortion here, not the amp.

I don’t care about the THX specification or an amateur’s interpretation of it. This receiver has unbelievably clean sound. I have never heard it to clip. I feel sorry for those who have purchased something else.

After purchasing this receiver I was interested to read that the Pioneer VSA-AX10 being hailed as the “Possibly the best surround-sound amp in the world. Staggering performance.” By the British “What Hi-Fi” magazine. The same magazine also tested the VSX-D2011 (Elite 45TX) and the verdict: 5 stars + “The baby version of Pioneer’s flagship VSX-AX10 at a third of the price. It too was tuned at air studios and the result is a big, exciting and involving sound.”. Though I don’t always believe what magazines say, this hardly sounds like a receiver that clips at 1W !

Submitted by flatline a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit in concert with 6 Klipsch RB-35 bookshelves and an RC-35 Center (all 125 watt RMS and 96dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter sensitivity.) By all acounts a fine combo, The Pioneer warms up the forward sounding Klipshes nicely and they never sound strained. Setup with MCACC was very accurate (within 1db on the five bands it could control, that checked with a 1/24 octave RTA.) Similar control on the subwoofer output would have been nice though. The remote is not very good compared to others even lower in the Pioneer line. The learning feature "filled up" with commands after only the second device, wereas the remote for my old vsx-811 would learn the commands of all 5 of my devices. The look and finish is great, phono option and usb in a good thing. Plento of inputs and outputs no problems there (except it would be nice to have rear back surround without losing the speaker B/multiroom option.)
Now to the gripes! I really want to like this system, in fact I love the sound of it BUT:
THX specifies the ability to play at a decibel level of 105 sustained. I have a pair of modified AudioSource SW15 subs for the lows. When crossed over at the THX spec of 80hz The amp will overload at -8db (96db SPL), at 100hz the overload occurs at -5 (99 SPL), at 150hz at -1 (104 SPL.)These tests were conducted in stereo mode front speakers only with a rather bass heavy music cd but not extreme or excessive. This exact combo (literally the very amp and front speakers) I demoed at the store with a madonna cd and was able to turn the volume all the way up (+12db)with no overload or strain. I was extremely upset to find them clipping (overloading) at home not even reference (0db) level. I checked my wire (stranded oxygen free 14ga) I tried biwire (dual stranded 14ga oxygen free) no difference. I would expect a THX amp to attain the specified loudness (with extremely efficient speakers no less) with little difficulty. This unit will be going back and I'll have to keep searching.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics