Pioneer Elite VSX-21 A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (36 Reviews)

Submitted by Kevin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked this receiver up a few years back. I've loved it since. First off, it was very flexible for its time. Fully S-2 switching for every video input. I could run s-video for everything including my SVHS vcr. Sure, now we have component video switching, but that wasn't around then.

Also.. I'm not sure if others have read their manual. You can assign each of the digital inputs to whatever button/source you want. Aka.. assign Optical 2 to DVD. With basic a basic coax cable and cheap optical cables, I've never experienced any drop out of digital connections. Like most receivers, it switches to an assigned digital input whenever the digital signal is present. If not, it'll stay with analog inputs.

The bass managment works great.

It isn't the most powerful receiver, rated at 85watts/channel. We all know receivers cheat on their numbers too.

I know my speakers, Klipsch with super high efficiency of 95db/w/m, so I didn't worry about enormous power.

This is an all around excellent receiver.

Purchased At:   Now Audio Video

Submitted by Eugene B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Off the hook for 125$. this msrp 650$ reciever is great for my dorm room. plenty of output to all speakers and sub. i hate the remote, but i purchased the sony touch screen remote to replace it. pretty design for a pioneer. cant ask for more at 125$.

Purchased At:   Tweeter Clearance

Submitted by Bleo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
In this price range the best receiver you can get. 80Watt is enough power if you have a small living room.
My living room is only 6 meters x 5 meters and sometimes the walls can barely hold the roof because of "earthquake- like" soundwaves.

System I use:

TV :Pioneer SD-P62A5-K 62"
VCR: Samsung SV-5000W
AVReceiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-21
DVD:Pioneer Elite DV-37
Front: Wharfedale MFM-5
Rear: JBL S38
Center: JBL N-Center (will be replaced...)
Subwoofer: JBL PB-12 (250 Watt)

Purchased At:   www.buy.com

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Pioneer was my first full A/V receiver. Worked pretty good out of the box, however the audio power from my DVD player was weak. It automatically either chooses digital inputs for each component or you have to use specific inputs (which limits the value of the digital inputs).

Biggest problem started a few months ago when it started dropping my satellite digital input. Then a couple of weeks ago, it started using the digital satellite audio for the DVD (this worked fine for year prior). Couldn't get it to work correctly again. Got the Denon a few days ago, and now I can see (and hear) the difference in audio quality, programability, and quality of components.

Won't miss the Pioneer...and considering the fact that it went south in a little over a year, I can't recommend it to anyone else either.

Submitted by Kevin M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Before purchasing my Pioneer, I was using separates. After purchasing a DVD player, I decided to make a theater system. My Adcom preamp, although great for music, didn't offer much room for growth. I kept my B&K amp, which drives my front speakers and I have been very happy. Many people would like more power, but since I live in a small condo, the 80 watts per channel are more than adequate.

Purchased At:   Myer Emco