Pioneer VSX-D509S
Description: Dolby Digital/dts A/V Receiver - 100 Watts x 5 Channels - A/V Inputs: 4A/4V - Digital Inputs: 3 - S-Video Inputs: 4 In/2 Out

Submitted by aserejeje a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
The receiver has plenty of beef being 100watts per channel.For being entry level i think it has clean sound especially with dts 5.1.

Purchased At:   Frys

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
This receiver is a piece of junk really. I will not even buy this thing for a 100 bucks in the yard sale. Fit for teenagers below 18 years of age or novices who like to fiddle around with a low-end piece of equipment and not concentrate on sound quality.

Try a Denon instead.

Submitted by calbeard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit is everything that I expected in a medium price receiver. The manual and the remote is very critical to the operation of this receiver. I downloaded the 60 page manual from the Pioneer site.

My first 5.1 system, I have a set of epi speakers that fill the room with great surround sound. During movies, the clear sound effects from the rear speakers will startle my wife. Digital cable from the DVD and optical from the CD make for very clear sound.

I have no idea how old the unit was when I bought it, but has worked very reliably.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Landin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
This receiver is crap. It only came with a one-year warranty, and right after my warranty expired (it was manufactured in August of 2001, it's now December of 2002), my front left channel just died. Not like fuzzy sound or anything, it is completely dead. I've sound checked everything, Pioneer doesn't know what's wrong. Pioneer has gone downhill - this is my second Pioneer component that has died in the last 2 months (the last was a progressive scan DVD player). I'm never buying from them again.

Submitted by camsha a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been happy with this unit for more than a year, using it primarily for home theater/DVDs. The remote is nice enough that I was able to put away 5 others. BUT, two things: I upgraded my front speakers to an $800 pair of Klipsch RF-3II floor speakers and my receiver's warranty expired last month. This combination, of course, caused my receiver to fail critically. (note: I was pulling my new speakers out of their boxes when the receiver died! I hadn't even touched it yet)
As mentioned in several other reviews here, the receiver now displays an OVERLOAD message about 20 secs to 2 mins into using it and then it powers itself off. It does this every time. I hadn't changed any configuration. I am using digital input, not analog, as the manual mentions a strong analog signal can cause this.
So, I was happy, but now it's a paper weight.

Purchased At:   random online store