Pioneer VSX-D509S
Description: Dolby Digital/dts A/V Receiver - 100 Watts x 5 Channels - A/V Inputs: 4A/4V - Digital Inputs: 3 - S-Video Inputs: 4 In/2 Out

Submitted by Greg Honsinger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought my D509s in 1995 for casual listening and movies on my 32 inch CRT television. Through the years, my TV's have upgraded from CRTs to DLPs and now a 55" flat panel 3D LED. Through this time my D509s has never let me down with audio for my movies however, for pure stereo listening it does lack the power and clarity that I prefer. So, after 19 years of enjoyment, I am upgrading to the Pioneer Elite SC89. Considering the $600. dollars Canadian that I paid for the D509s, it was an awesome buy and a loyal movie companion.

Submitted by aserejeje a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
The receiver has plenty of beef being 100watts per channel.For being entry level i think it has clean sound especially with dts 5.1.

Purchased At:   Frys

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
This receiver is a piece of junk really. I will not even buy this thing for a 100 bucks in the yard sale. Fit for teenagers below 18 years of age or novices who like to fiddle around with a low-end piece of equipment and not concentrate on sound quality.

Try a Denon instead.

Submitted by calbeard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit is everything that I expected in a medium price receiver. The manual and the remote is very critical to the operation of this receiver. I downloaded the 60 page manual from the Pioneer site.

My first 5.1 system, I have a set of epi speakers that fill the room with great surround sound. During movies, the clear sound effects from the rear speakers will startle my wife. Digital cable from the DVD and optical from the CD make for very clear sound.

I have no idea how old the unit was when I bought it, but has worked very reliably.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Landin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
This receiver is crap. It only came with a one-year warranty, and right after my warranty expired (it was manufactured in August of 2001, it's now December of 2002), my front left channel just died. Not like fuzzy sound or anything, it is completely dead. I've sound checked everything, Pioneer doesn't know what's wrong. Pioneer has gone downhill - this is my second Pioneer component that has died in the last 2 months (the last was a progressive scan DVD player). I'm never buying from them again.