Philips FR 980
Description: MatchLine Digital Home Cinema Receiver

Submitted by zgreatwhite a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver at a DISCONTINUED MODEL sale, on a whim, in 1992. The wife was not happy for such a frivolous purpose. I wasn't in the market for a receiver, as my Marantz, circa 1976, 2270 receiver was both beautiful and fully functional. However, the CD era had arrived, and I was looking for a receiver better able to take advantage of the CD's high fidelity.

However, the Philips caught my eye and then held my interest due to the numerous inputs, variety of outputs, built in EQ with preset and user programmable settings, and the ability to record from one source while listening to another.

Since 1992 I have enjoyed this receiver enormously and received many unsolicited compliments from friends regarding the sound, power and features of this receiver. The fact it is a Phillips receiver makes it rather unique(at least here in the states) and adds to the "mystique" of the system.

I especially like the programmable remote which I can program for all of my audio and video devices.

Purchased At:   SILO

Submitted by jbc38 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
i have to say that this receiver has good sound compared to my old receiver which was a technics pro logic receiver.
the dts and pro logic decoding is good and the power output is good for the average sized room also the number of inputs is good
my system consists of the following
philips dvd 950
philips cdr875
b&w 300 series speakers
energy xl-s8 subwoofer

Submitted by Bill Formeka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the FRS 975 which is quite similar. It sounds great and I am very happy to own it. If you are new to home theater or just want a good reciever for the price this is for u. I love the preset settings from philips. The small speakers supplied are very nice. The only think I have found that I didnt like was the remote. It is very light and cheap, but hey, it works, and for a price like this the cheap remote doesnt matter. I am very happy with this product. If you buy it you will believe me!

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by Doron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I recently prochesed the FR 975 (similar to the 980) and i must say that im impressed - good equipment with really low price (450$ in Israel is LOW).
When i started looking for an HT receiver, i didn't know that its even exist.
I heard the Marantz sr-4000 and ive really like its stereo performance. Next to him i sow the Philips FR 975. I played with its setup and wow!!! exactly the same as the Marantz, only different panel. From the checks i made its the same equipment manufactured in the same place , only the Philips is extra packed with DTS ,4 dig in and 5 s.video and a universal RC- and the power rating is "different"- Philips claim 5x100 watt . The marantz is 3x80+2x40 . Form listening tests i made the Marantz Specification are the real. Philips in not known ,today, for audio equip. man. there for the 975 is cheaper then the Marantz.
Great dill

Doron

Submitted by doug perryman a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am very proud to own this product. The overall experince is very enjoyable. The setup couldnt be easier and the quailty of sound is terrific! The main speakers should be able to handle more than what they do but the surrond speakers are very good. the surrond capababilites are truly great. Icant say enough about that. The main complaint i have is the main speakers. They need to be toughen up!

Purchased At:   best buy