Panasonic SA-XR70 A/V Receivers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

• 100 Watt Per Channel (100X5)
  • Digital AM/FM Tuner
  • 4 S-Video Terminals
  • Dolby Pro-Logic II

Submitted by kdelage a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just got this reciever last week and am amazed at how great it sounds. I have owned many different brands of a/v reciever and as a total package, the Panasonic has it all. Great sound, awesome price, and plenty of inputs both digital and analog. No kidding, this unit sounds better than my $1000.00 Marantz reciever!

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by rtwbmc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been wanting to upgrade to a good receiver without breaking the bank. Digital amplification of the SA XR-70 was intriguing. So I tried it out. Had a Sony STR DE485 before that was fine, but the Panasonic is so much better. I can hear so much more detail in all channels. Bass response is better too.

Purchased At:   J&R (by phone, not o

Submitted by jupmalis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have been waiting for this product for more than one year. My base system is a Rotel CD971 feeding into a Simaudio I5080 integrated amp into Newform Research 630 ribbon speakers. John Meyer of Newform Research has long been a promoter of digital amps. The XR 70 is about the third generation of Panasonic's attempts to produce digital amps using Texas Instruments digital amp chips. Compared to the XR 45, this receiver offers an HDMI interface and a biamping feature, allowing you to drive the woofer and tweeter of your loudspeakers independently, without using a passive crossover. Biamping has long been considered a powerful and expensive method to pull performance out of your speakers.

My main interest was to obtain a receiver that would work well in a home theater environmet, while providing audiophile quality two channel sound. This is called convergence. You avoid the expense of audiophile equipment while satisfying both video and audio needs through mass market equipment.

Panasonic has hit the sweet spot through the XR 70 receiver and the DVD s97 DVD player. For the price of $650USD, you can have these two extraordinary pieces that will rival most everything in the electronics marketplace.

The DVD S97 player is also HDMI interface capable. It ranks as a strong competitor to the Denon 2910 DVD player, at less than half the price. It only provides DVD audio decoding, but this is apperently a weakness of the universal Denon player. If you want SACD decoding, buy the new Sony 975 HDMI DVD player, and you still save money against the Denon.

I tried patching the S97 into my Simaudio amp, and found the result to be flat and one dimensional. I tried patching my Rotel into the XR 70, and found the sound to be shrill and fautiging. My base Rotel and Simaudio setup gives me excellent soundstaging and detail, so I was not happy.

Then I connected the S97 to the XR 70 through the HDMI cable supplied by Pansonic. The sound came into focus, giving me almost the same soundstage that my base sysem provides, straight out of the box.

Many audio dealers comment that the Panasonic digital amps sound bright and harsh compared to the analog amps. My suggestion is to use the Panasonic receiver and DVD player in combination, and play with the receiver setup to optimize two channel sound. John Meyer of Newform Research has commented that the Panny digital amps sound pretty rough out of the box with factory multichannel settings.

Even though the receiver is rated at 100 RMS watts at six ohms, I found this more than sufficient to drive my speakers at high volume levels. I have not explored the biamping option yet.

This receiver was only released in early December of 2004. Just before Christmas, most dealers went out of stock on this item. In Canada, this is a difficult and expensive item to obtain, while the DVD player is easily available. This is why I ordered from the states, and even there supply is limited.

In summary, my exploration into the newest technology (primarily HDMI) tells me that there are few industry standards. One reatailer indicates that the Samsung 941 HDMI DVD universal player does not work with the Panny XR 70. I also read that the Denon 2910 will not feed DVDA info to the latest HDMI equipment. So - stay safe and stick to the Panny combination. These two units were made for each other, and they do things between the two of them that you and I can not understand. This is where technology has gone.

Highly recommended - to achieve high standards of audio and video at mass market prices.

Purchased At:   b and h photo

Submitted by SnoopDave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am very familiar with the sound of the Panasonic SA-XR45. I knew that the XR45 has alot of potential. When I heard that Panasonic was coming out with an successor I jumped at the chance to upgrade to an SA-XR70. I am currently using the SA-XR70 in biamp mode with NHT ST4 speakers. The sound is clean and detailed. The imaging is very good. What Im hearing isnt a radical departure from the XR45, but it IS improved. I think I read that they had worked on improving the power supply. The XR70 sounds better than the XR45. It's somehow a little smoother. It's easily the match for the NHT ST4's in terms of quality. I now consider the ST4's to be the weak link in the system. I will say I havent had a chance to listen to the analog inputs which many have said is NOT a strong point for these Panasonic receivers. The tuner is very good. I have a Sony X707ES seperate tuner and I dont feel any urge to hook it up to the Panasonic. The Panasonic's excel at digital sources. I listened to some Rush last night. Not the best recordings and Geddy's voice can get screechy over extended listening periods. I kept listening in amazement. This receiver shouldnt sound as good as it does. Will I sell my Threshold T200's on Ebay anytime soon? Probably not... It's not in that league. Does it smoke my previous Sony ES Receiver? Yeah. The "digital" sound is slowly moving closer to really good transistor. I wish Panasonic would come out with an audiophile version of this amp -- linear power supply and upgraded caps. But I am happy I upgraded from the XR45.

Purchased At:   OneCall