Onkyo TX-SV535 A/V Receivers

3.93/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

pro logic reciever

Submitted by Big Bu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp has been service for many years and has only broke down once. It costed 105 bucks to fix and now runs fine.

This amp has traveled many places, since in my younger years I threw alot of loud parties at random places (no problems).

I've decided to upgrade to a 7.1 surround setup.
So my first purchase was a Sony from Best Buy, but i returned it after 26 days. You are wondering why i didn't stick with Onkyo, well I never knew it sounded so good until i brought home the other amps. Now I have an Harmon Kardon 320z. The H/K sounded better than the Sony, but the Onkyo sounded better when listening to music. Don't get me wrong, the H/K sounds good, but the onkyo sounds better.

It's outdated, but i still can't let it go. I switch over to it for 2 ch. music.

My setup:
monster cables/connects

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Anh Vu a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
This model is good for limited budget listerners. The sound is full. It has rigid design. Easy using remote. Many addtional functions likes sleeping mode, selective tones.

Purchased At:   Onkyo Dealer in Viet

Submitted by mad mad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
put alote of faith and money in to onkyo with bad resalts my dvd went in after 2 weeks my twetters went out 6 weeks now after 2 years my receiver sucks i cant get arespond from onkyo so ill pay to get it fixed if it cost to much ill putt it all in a yard sale and get something that will stay together

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Domino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very good receiver, although it did fry on me once. Don't run 2 x 4 Ohm speakers and 2 x 6 Ohm speakers at the same time and turn the volume up to mid-levels. The result will fry your receiver so MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR OHM RATINGS ON YOUR SPEAKERS (this is true for any receiver, not just Onkyo). Although it fried on my years ago, I still remember the living hell I went through getting it fixed. It was in the shop for months and Onkyo support was horrible. They could never provide me with straight information and the only thing they did was extend my warranty by 2 months (the time it was in for service). I was looking for a brand new receiver since I only had it for a couple weeks before it fried.

When I got it back, it worked nicely and I only used my two Paradigm 9semk3s with it for several years. Just recently I purchased a nice center channel and have been exploring pro-logic for the first time with this receiver. It seems to work fairly well, although I don't understand why there isn't a 3 or 5-channel stereo mode.

Now I am bummed though, because when I bought it I was led to believe that it would be AC-3 upgradeable because it has pre-OUTS. Little did I know you need to have INPUTS to upgrade to it - so I am SOL there.

Now I've been through 3 Onkyo receivers and haven't had any "horrible" experiences. I still think they deliver one of the best values out there for the money. But I must admit I am torn between trying to decide between an Onkyo TX-DS898 or the Denon AVR3802 or 4802. I'm looking for a reciever that I'm not going to have to upgrade every few years.

In a nutshell, this is a good unit if you don't want dolby digital. But you'd be nuts to buy a receiver that doesn't have that these days. Pretty soon everything well be in it and pro-logic will be for old VHS tapes only.

Purchased At:   Sound Seller

Submitted by Afif Nizam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Poor long run performance. Again if anybody have any tip in solving my problem please do so. I would really appreciate it.

Purchased At:   Electrical Shop