Onkyo TX-SV444 A/V Receivers

4.1/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $430.00

Submitted by James Kirk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I receved this reciver from my Dad after he upgraded to a more powerfull and advanced Receiver, and it is great for my bedroom. I have KLH speakers hooked up to it; 5 surrounders and a 120 watt powered sub. Together, they make a great team making an awesome audio experience. Sounds great with music, movies, video games, and just regular TV. For high quality VHS, DVD, TV, and video games, I use the Dolby Pro Logic setting, which takes advantage of the high quality audio capabilies of the source. For music and and lower quality sources, or sources not in surround, I use the Live setting, Which still is surround sound, but more like a Dolby 4.1 setting, because the center speaker is switched off. This setting is also good if the source is mono. Well designed overall amp has pleanty of power to fill my room with clear, crisp sound. The total price of my system would be about $500. $300 for the reciver, and $200 for the speakers

Purchased At:   Circit City

Submitted by ray aud a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
For$100, you can't go wrong with this one, if you can find them. They are going fast. With the advance of semiconductor technology, amp is no longer that difficult to make. Spend more money on speakers.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by jesus amezaga a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
Onkyo 444 is a good receiver for a cheap product. It has low power but is enough for an apartment or small house. Its sound is flat without bells (not like others Onkyo that have colored sound). With an equalizer you can get an very good sound. Its surround is low with VCR, but with DVD (that included digital decoder) its surround sound is very good.

Submitted by Joesph a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver a week ago at J and R for $250 dollars. At first I brought the HK-5 but I return it after using it for a short period of time; the HK only handles 35W * 5. I needed a receiver a little more powerful, so I went with the Onkyo. This receiver is great, it has enough power for my medium sized room and the sound quality is soooooo clear. I auditioned other receivers, such as the HK-65 and the Onkyo is somewhat better. I was recommend this receiver for anyone looking for quality under $300.

Submitted by c-boy a

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
can't expect too much for the price. This receiver does the job for the money you paid for. I've tried it with DDP-2 Yamaha AC3 decoder and does the job although the rears are very anemic. Stereo sound resembles Yamaha but can sound harsh at times. Still a good entry-level DPL receiver.

Atlantic Technology :