Onkyo TX-SR701 A/V Receivers

• 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
  • THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and Pro Logic II decoding
  • DTS Neo:6 modes
  • dual 32-bit processors
  • dual-room/dual-source audio output (powered speaker-level and preamp-level stereo audio output for second room)
  • Wide Range Amplifier Technology
  • pure audio mode
  • composite-to-S-video conversion
  • CinemaFILTER (adjusts tonal characteristics of soundtracks recorded for movie theaters for a home theater setting)

Submitted by Micah Daniel Thormodsgaard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine on a whim after my classic JVC SuperA amp kicked the bucket. I picked it up from another enthusiast who was upgrading his equipment. He took excellent care of it and had never used the remote. I could tell by his setup that he had put this thing through the paces... and it still performs great.

I have been running mine in a closed off cabinet where it's subjected to lots of heat and poor circulation, yet it still sounds great and runs like a champ.

Pros: Great value on the used market and makes an excellent replacement for a mid range, non HDMI home theater

Cons: No HDMI inputs, Pure Audio is still digitally processed which is not ideal for vinyl, HUGE remote

Submitted by karister a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice unit with lots of muscle to it. It has very nice detailed sound to it, even listening to music sounds very good; compared to my separates this guy is right up there. I like the THX aspect of it when it selects on it's own according to the input signal. I like the two and six channel stereo option as well.

Submitted by fiberzap a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
This new Onkyo series surprised me with its high quality audio and THX certification with the amount of money paid. I was looking around for a higher-end receiver with THX certification and stumbled upon this one, which cost $700-1000 less than other brands with similar features.

The music and movie sound quality is comparable to Denon, which I think highly about, but at a lower price.

Aside from the sound quality and features, the user interface is well designed and intuitive. I could figure out the majority of the functionalities without reading the manual and that is a plus.

The bass is a little suspect but there is enough good things to recommend this receiver.

Onkyo's vision is to be better every year and they seem to be a rising player in the mid-priced audio equipment.

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by Sandman_43 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I did a fair amount of research both online and store to store,looking for a midpriced receiver with THX certification for 2003 model year.
I finally settled on this one and even though I've only had it about a month I am very pleased thus far.
I live in a highrise condo so I opted not to hook up a subwoofer as of yet but the space it needs to fill is rectangular.....approx 12ft by 20ft and even without the sub it still resonates with authority.
At the moment it is hooked up to PSB 500's at the front,Angstrom C3.3(center) and Angstroms Modular 2 for rears.TV is a 32 inch Panasonic GAOO.
I recommend even if you are a "newbie" when it comes to Surround AV receivers et al and have someone else do the installation that you take your time and read and re-read the manual.
It's imperitive you know everything this unit offers you and are able to let it flex it's creative muscle.
Starting with speaker configuration and calibration,the setup for this becomes vital for optimum performance.The manual recommends an SPL(sound pressure level) meter for calibration but you can set it aurally as I did.You may need to do this several times until you can finetune it.
I have been resetting the calibrations depending upon the DVDs I am playing,or the signal source.
Also there are several listening modes,like most AV receivers,so you will have fun playing around with these as well.
If someone else installs and sets up the unit make sure they walk you through each phase of set-up.Then just read and re-read manual and most companies have a 1 800 # help line.
The DVDs I played first were Elton John,Greatest Hits,Bee Gees One Night Only,Die Hard,The Game,Saving Private Ryan.
All sounded amazing.....although you will need to play around with the settings for a while.I seem to change my speaker calibration settings each time I use it.
I also have digital cable box and notice a difference in tonal quality then that of DVDs,not better or worse just different.
I am incredibly picky about my sound reproductions.......music or movie.... and can say this unit allows for just such a thing.
An example is the audio adjust button.Depending on the digital or analog source there are 18 options listed,some of course only available with certain listening modes.
I also was looking for an AV receiver with remote zone or zone 2 option.I have not as yet used it but will in the near future.
As of yet I have only used this unit for playback of DVDs and cable TV........but even with cable I receive about 30 digital music channels.........sounds great!
I apologize if this review is a bit longwinded but I feel I owe it to others who are in the midst of searching like I was.
All I can add is DO YOUR HOMEWORK
Don't take my word for it.
Happy Hunting

Purchased At:   Colour and Sound

Submitted by peerke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great receiver!
Sounds great, especially in a surround setting.

Purchased At:   Internetshop