Onkyo TX-DS989 A/V Receivers

4.46/5 (93 Reviews) MSRP : $3299.00

The TXDX989 is the first 7.1 THX Ultra Dolby EX Receiver that needs no external amplification

Submitted by james a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
i should say that onkyo 989 is better than the rest some people dosent know they think was denon and yamaha are good i should say onkyo 989 is always the best and the first one who build 7.1 channel . their nothing like onkyo 989 the best. i would not compare to any other stereo.

Submitted by onkyo haha a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I been used this 989 a year now,i must say this AV sound is good for music and movie,but in our country the update to V2 is still waiting? I don`t know why onkyo up to now don`t let our country to update,I think our country is so small???????or???????

Submitted by currie538 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love the sound my onkyo 989 ver2 produces especially in movies. The SACD and DVD audio is good but not as outstanding as the movies. I have one complaint and one problem. My complaint is that I purchased some high quality interconnects for the multichannel music but the Onkyo supplied digital 25 pin connector is poor quality and there is not direct in(RCA type)connection using the audio interconnects. How can a top end reciever be shipped with such a poor quality connector.

The problem I am having with the reciever is the front right speaker isn't working. It is so disappointing when you have a brand new reciever and it doesn't work. I guess I will have to bring it in to the nearest service center and they say there turn around time is 2 weeks if no parts are on back order.

Submitted by Fuzzy32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
My only complaint with this awesome machine was the fan noise. It would come on after 2 hours of movie watching and stay on for 10-15 seconds. Then back on every 15 minutes for the same 10-15 second period. For a top notch receiver, I was a little dissapointed with the fan noise.

After reading all the reviews here on the 'fan fix' problem, I contacted H. ROY GRAY LIMITED who look after Onkyo products here in Canada. I talked to a customer service rep who told me that he had never heard of the fan noise problem with the 989. After telling him of the fix that I read about in here in which Onkyo USA sent out a tech sheet with the fan noise fix, he still didn't believe me. Since the actual product tech was not there in the office to chat with me, the customer rep took my phone number down and told me he would call back in a few days with an answer.

20 minutes later I got a call back from Onkyo. He did some research and found out that there was indeed a fix for the 989 fan noise problem. He told me there was a zenor diode that I needed. He told me where the nearest Onkyo service dealer was and the part number that I needed. He thanked me for being patient and told me if there were any other problems to call him again without hesitation.

Installing the zenor diode will make the fan turn slower than before. It still comes on after 2 hours but it runs whisper quiet now. Can't hear it at all.

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to H.ROY GRAY LIMITED here in Canada who look after Onkyo products.

Purchased At:   Trutone Electronics

Submitted by pshing a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the follow-up review for what I did on 2/19/03 towards ONKYO 989 AV RCVR. By then, I reported the quality problem on 989 which no sounds come out fm either DSP setting or analog direct (such as AM/FM). I wrote to Onkyo and get patch fm them by turn on the system first then hold Video1 along w/ standby button simutaneously to reset the entire system. I did and 989 worked for several days then back to the no-sound O/P stage again. I was pissed and called Onkyo technical supports who they recommended to go for the upgarde-2 package which will solve this DSP related problems. In the ONKYO shop, they not only upgraded the system but also fixed the DSP issue at no costs since it is still under warrenty. Now, the 989-Ver2 AV receiver is back to live and I couldn't be happier to hear all the richest sounds fm ONKYO.

In case, yr 989 original RCVR has similiar issue, then upgrade 2 will indeed help.

Price Paid:    $1975.00