Onkyo TX-DS595 A/V Receivers

4.58/5 (19 Reviews)

The TX-DS595 gives you Onkyo's traditional strengths - sonic excellence, build quality and unparalleled ease of use - plus the latest technological advances and user-interface refinements previously reserved only for our most expensive receivers. Take the Optimum Gain Volume circuit, for example. It's cutting edge design puts an end to the noise contamination that often plagues conventional volume controls - so your movies and music sound their best at any output level. Another Onkyo high-end refinement, a Non-Scaling Configuration, gives you better bass management while providing DSP with improved clarity, transparency, dynamics, depth and imaging. And critically acclaimed Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT) eliminates the adverse effects of counter-electromotiv force by applying the optimum minimal amount of NFB (negative feedback).

Submitted by txjeep a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Overall, an incredible unit for the price I paid. For movies, it works very well. It is not the latest 6.1/7.1 technology, but it does a fantastic job with my DVDs. For music, if you are like me and have an extremely discerning ear, this unit will disappoint you.

Submitted by brad_meredith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
After owning a Pioneer VSXD508 reciever and knowing people that own sony's, I decided to buy a mid range, good quality reciever. I bought the GOLD 595. The build quality and power impressed me the most at first, but the sound really inspired me. I have some cheap floorstanders at the moment... But even they sounded heaps better...Good Bass and nice crisp treble. This amp has LOTS of clean, distortion free power. I am looking forward to buying 2 pairs of B&W 601 S3's. When I have some REAL speakers i will write again... I love this amp, I love the learning remote. 5 Year warranty too!!!

Purchased At:   Harvey Norman

Submitted by Mikke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
After my HIFI system from Sony broke down it was time to buy a new. This time I decieded to buy a receiver. I read some reviews of a sony receiver (don't remember which model), and decided to buy it. I was not satisfied with this receiver. Not much deep bass of this. So I returned the receiver, and started reading rewiews again. Then I Found this one from Onkyo. I ordered it, and that something I don't regret. It's amazing!
Mostly of the time I listen to music in DPLII, which is great. The sound is amazing, allthought I still think the bass could be better. Just connect a powerful subwoofer to it.

Submitted by Crx a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
After doing a lot, I mean A LOT of research, I finally decided to upgrade my home theater system. We first bought the onkyo 494 reciever which was great. I immediatley saw and heard the difference a high quality reciever made. The only thing that the 494 didnt have was enough digital inputs, so we decided to pay a little extra and get the 595.
If you have any doubts about this reciever, I would go to good guys or someplace and just look inside this one and others you are concidering. Look at the heatsink, the onkyo is one solid metal block as opposed to a thin metal board with thin metal fins bolted on. You can see also that the capacitors are much, MUCH larger than other recievers at this price range. This makes a huge difference in sound and power handling. Very clean signal. Also, each audio and VIDEO input is on its own board which reduces any bleedover from your other sources which ends up giving you a much cleaner sound on each separate channel. If youre an audiophile, you have to get this reciever. The Sony and Kenwood recievers I tested were really crap. I would much rather have 75 CLEAN watts than 100 dirty watts. You can tell the difference. Onkyo really made this one like their top of the line recivers.
The Remote is really cool, I wish it had back light like their old model but Im sure its to conserve battery life. You can program macros so you can turn on your tv, sat, dvd, reciever all with a few buttons. you can even turn everything off with one button which is so cool. I even programmed the remote to close our blinds when we turn the tv on. A dream come true. I love showing it off.
This reciever has 4 digital inputs, 2 optical and 2 coax. Perfect for when I get my Xbox and PS II. Check out the first scene in Saving Private Ryan and you will be in love.

I got a really great deal at bestpriceaudiovideo.com which makes it even nicer but honestly, I would have paid more. I hope they didnt hear that. :)
Thanks to my wife for agreeing to get it. Thanks monkey. I love you.

Purchased At:   bestpriceaudiovideo.com

Submitted by Blake Stanford, M.D. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great unit! Go listen for yourself before you buy. Remember to budget for a subwoofer if you do not already own one.

Very good looking, clean unit. Well assembled and has a durable feeling in the stitches and buttons. Other units look cheap when compaired to this Onkyo.

Remote is fantastic. Too many options to list. Onkyo is very "reserved" in thier power ratings.

Purchased At:   Professional High Fidelity