Onkyo TX-DS484 A/V Receivers

4.29/5 (72 Reviews)

Dolby Digital/DTS receiver

Submitted by Matt Lynch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
Excellent reciever for the money. Great sound quality at all volume levels. Needs a powered sub if you like bass but other than that i have no complaints. This receiver sounds as if it has more wattage than it really has. This is the best receiver i have ever had.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by dranreb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
mga kababayan if u're looking for a home theather in your house this is the one ihave to recommend if you have not enough money,and this reciever makes me feel good and relaxing when i'm listening.co'z the sound is clear & etc. etc.the best ito hindi ka mag sisi .pero one thing more mapapalabas mo lang ang magandang tunog kung magandi rin ang speaker mo .atsaka kailangan mo ng subwoofer para lumabas ang bass nya.want to buy my 484,,coz i'm upgrading to tx-sr502 --6.1--

Purchased At:   manila

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Onkyo TX-DS484 represented my entry into home theater as well as an exceptional value. The receiver was ahead of its time, offering 5-channel stereo alongside Denon, 2 coaxial inputs, a great tuner, and a phono section. Got a great deal after Tweeter bought out a local store, dumping all Onkyo and Polk just to name some brands.
I was not initially impressed by its tonal quality, perhaps because I demoed it, albeit unfairly, alongside a more expensive Denon. But eventually the sound grew on me, as a few months later the amp took on my Acoustic Research towers with the authority of one twice its rated output. I see no reason to complain about the bass control and/or slam here. Both my 91db and 89db speakers put out satisfying lows with the Onkyo behind them. Admittedly, at high volumes, any surround receiver is going to run out of gas, and that's where a sub comes in. But for me, the bass was there and it was of good quality, tone controls flat. Speaking of, I only sometimes reached for that treble knob as I found some music muddy. At 55 wpc I wasn't expecting the world, but Onkyo is now my premier budget manufacturer of audio equipment. That is to say, if I had the money, I would certainly be looking at Krell and Mark Levinson. But for all practical purposes, the TX-DS484 is a TX-8211 with a surround decoder and logarithmic volume scale. An overall solid investment; better than I imagined.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by KillBass a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent Receiver for the money. The sound quality in five channel stereo is excellent with a great tuner. The bass of the unit is somewhat lacking if you don't have a sub but with a dual 12" Sub the sound is fantastic. In Home Theatre mode the sound is good, but not up to the standard set by my previous Sony DB-940 Amplifier (twice the price - crap tuner).
Very few different settings to choose from, but the bells and whistles are not needed on a Receiver that sounds this good at this price.
After the Sony which was close on twice the price I could not believe how good this Receiver was when I demo'd it in shop. I would recommend this receiver to anyone.

Purchased At:   Bond & Bond

Submitted by Flex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great sound, nice high and mid-tone. To bad for the bass, but with a reasonably good sub you will have a great sound. I use it for just normal listening aswell as playing music as loud as possible.
It has a nice sound and it can go very loud without any big distortion. And for listening to DVD it is great also.
Just a good reciever for it's price. You can't get something like this at another brand for this price!

BLG CP024: