Nakamichi AV-3s A/V Receivers

4.28/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by P Bajaj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
A marvellous piece of electronics, packed in beauty and style. No gimmicks, just pure qyality sound given this is a Pro-Logic (not DTS) standard receiver amp. Still compares very favorably modern amps...albeit the limitations on new technology and output due its age. Unfirtuntaely, nakamichi lost its standard of quality as reference products since late 1990s.....

Submitted by Fang Lin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver from Amazon.com at the very reasonable price offered, and have since enjoyed its class of quality and performance. I can confirm other reviewers' opinion of its very clear sound quality and nice looking built. Beyond that I want to say that it's very discriminating to the nature of its source material: good recordings sound fabulous while poorly mixed ones sound intolerably muddy. Several shortcomings nevertheless are present: limited A/V connectivity with only 2 video inputs; a merely moderate current output--perhaps not enough to drive large speakers or low-impedence ones well; somewhat flimsy connectors on back panel requiring careful pluggings and unpluggings. But these reservations are secondary for me given its nice balance of costs and benefits. If you want quality more than newest technology (DTS etc.) this is definitely worthy a try.

Submitted by Alex B. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
The guys at UBid somehow managed to get these receivers at very low prices. The only product it could compete with this one in the mass-production category would be the Harman/Kardons, at about three times the price of this one. Its solid metal finish looks much better than all the receivers with bells and whistles made of led's and plastic. This unit delivers a solid performance (at least for its price), with a warm and clear sound. (for the guy complaining about the "no bass" problem: the frequency "boosted" by the bass and treble controls are at the extremities of the audible range. (Clever and "purist" design, meaning only to flatten the response curve, not to distort it). It is only normal that there is almost no bass enhancement on a speker whose lower lower response limit is above 60 Hz. The main problem: the remote. Almost impossible to use, huge and very ineffective (does not work unless pointed s t r a i g h t towards the unit.) Also, it can't be replaced by a universal one. This is a quite successful attempt by Nakamichi to cover some of the "low-end" market. It delivers a more than fair bang for the buck.

Submitted by Jim Schweiker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been using listening to the AV3s for almost a year.
I am very happy with the receiver and love the its sound crisp and clear. This is a replacement to a 15 year old Harmon Kardon receiver. I loved my Harmon Kardon and was disappointed to see it go. I was looking to purchase a new one, but was disappointed to see they were even more overpriced than my previous purchase. Still I had planned to buy one until I came across the AV3s on a online auction. The price was incredible for a Nakamichi and I jumped at it before thinking. I was impressed with it right from the start. It reminds me of my old Harmon/Kardon. It was plain without the gimmicks and a fantastic sound.The AV3s does not have all the lights and buttons other receivers have. Who needs them (Maybe the Style concious). What you want is a great sound and the AV3s delivers. I would reccomend this to anyone.
There are only 2 drawbacks. First the fan is fairly noticible at low levels. It can be distracting, but I am getting used to it. The second is the poorly designed remote control. I never had one before for a receiver and thiught it would be handy. NOT. Whover designed the remote could not have design the receiver. It is poorly laid out, huge as remotes go (I couldn't lose it I tried)and is not compatable with any other remotes on the rest of the system.
I can only detucta half star for the minor annoyances. If you see for under $200 buy it is a steal. Enjoy. I give it 4 1/2 stars rather than 4.

Submitted by Aaron Rocky a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I also got it cheap from onsale sometime ago. Sounds great to me. 55W RMS, a little small but plenty enough for home use. I'm a pro-speaker. Don't pay big bucks for receiver. It's the speaker that makes difference.

SFLAT: