Nakamichi 1A-1 A/V Receivers

4.79/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Jeff a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have posted a review under the IA-1Z integrated amplifier section.

Hopefully someone will see this and answer these two questions:

I would like to know how I can see if the DTS upgrade is
1) installed
and
2) working properly.

My e-mail is studx66@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

(PS my Value Rating is based on what I paid, although I think even at twice the price it would be a decent deal, considering the build and sound qualities).

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by E S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
In the past year I have relied on this site to buy several items over the internet and if used correctly it can be very helpful. Be careful of the OVERALL section though. I have seen too many reviews like CalRaleigh's that make no sense. He loves the AC-3 sound but hates the reciever because it has no functions??????? He must have bought this reciever to drive instead of listen to, and in that case I would agree with him. Just make sure to read the reviews and do not rely on the # of stars.
Now for the review.......I like this reciever very much. It is clean and clear in both stereo and surround. I will gladly give up functions for sound quality. It does have all the basic functions that most people need. The channels can be adjusted for volume and sound delay. I would give this reciever a buy for anyone looking to spend up to $2,500. Over this price you may be able to get a better product.

Submitted by Terry Stanard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the IA-1Z from an auction for $925. This more than rivals the $2300 retail price. Be smart and shop around before you pay so much. That is, unless you want the support a local supplier can provide (in my book, it isn't worth the $1400 difference !)

In this case, I must recommend that the buyer make sure this product is BETTER than other products in the same price category, or lower. In my case, I was surprised to find that the sound was no better than the Sony 30 ES I already own, which cost $800 retail.

I had previously auditioned the Nak AV10 and thought that the IA-1Z would rival it (even though I had not heard the latter yet). But, it doesn't seem so.

So, be careful before you pick this model. The build quality is really high, but the sound isn't on par with the (retail) price.

Submitted by Rob Razz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
After living with the Nak for a little over 5 month's I had to submit another review, this is truely a great receiver.
2 channel stereo is the best I've heard under $3,000.Pure,clean signal, My B&W CDM 1SE's spring to life, great clarity and soundstage. AC-3/DTS can't be beat.No bells and whistles with this Amp, just great music, you must listen to one to understand. Cyberteria.com still sells them for $1800.00, Check UBID, I got mine for under $900, a steal. Top quality product!!!.

Related Equipment (home theater)
Nak 1a1z
Sony 7700 dvd
B&W CDM Fronts,center and rear
Transparent Musiclink interconnect and speaker cable throughout

Submitted by Jeff Nyquist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
To Anthony D, and all others:

A factory-authorized DTS Upgrade is available for the IA-1z from MSB. (www.msbtech.com)

Definitely worth the price of admission, the Nak's amps really shine on DTS material.

I actually bought my IA-1z with the DTS option already put in by MSB. There is one glitch on the LD input side .. don't know specifically what's wrong, but it's merely an annoyance, and not a fact at all on the DVD digital input.

As I've stated in a previous review of this unit, quite simply, it's awesome. Compared to some of the mass market stuff that's available in its price range (DSP-A1, and possibly Denon, though I don't have any experience with their newer models), there simply is no comparison. From movies to _excellent_ 2 channel stereo (to make use of those thousands of recordings), this piece cannot be beat.

The 2 channel stereo reproduction is what sold me. I needed a system that could do both extremely well, and I didn't get that from the DSP-A1. Sidenote: at the time when I purchased this unit, the DSP-A1 was really the only other viable product in this price range.

60.0 WA BLACK: