Marantz SR4300 A/V Receivers

4.25/5 (12 Reviews)

80 Watts x 6 (SACD/DVD-A Ready All Discrete Amplifiers 96kHz/24 bit D/A Converters) Dolby Digital EX®,Pro Logic II®, DTS ES®(Discrete 6.1,Matrix 6.1, Neo: 6),SRS Circle Surround® II System Remote Control Multi-Channel Stereo (6.1) Source Direct 4 Digital Inputs/2 Digital Output Composite and S-Video Switching 6.1 Channel Pre-Outputs/7 Direct Inputs

Submitted by Tim Warren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
This is an amp with two personalities. When it it running it is great - excellent sound quality, good features, easy to use and powerful. The problem is that it has been slowly dying since shortly after I bought it. sometimes one channel doesn't work, other times the low end disappears, then surround stopped working and finally the sound went all together.
This is disappointing for a brand that is meant to be high-mid range - it should run flawlessly for 20 years.
It was expensive - I was upsold from the model down, and paid more to get the brand relative to what else i'd compared.
I'd add that my matching DVD player died after a very short time and was superseded by one that cost 1/6th the amount and produces a much better result.
I wont buy Marantz again.

Submitted by Straub a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is actually a review for the SR 4400, but since they didn’t have a place to put a review for it I thought I would slide it in here.

I was looking for a decent receiver for my bedroom since my old JVC RX 888 broke down on me. I am now happy that it did. This receiver is a fantastic deal. I have it hooked up to a single pair of Paradigm Mini-monitors and I have to say that the difference between this and the JVC are like night and day. I have a Rotel RSX 1055 in my main listening room and this Marantz is not a far cry from that (at about 1/4th the price). I haven’t listened to it in the surround modes so I don’t have much to say about that, but the music sounds detailed and accurate.

In this price range you can’t expect all of the bells and whistles that come at an expense to sound or your pocket. As such, the SR 4400 does not have Component Video inputs. This is not a big deal for me and shouldn’t be for most people since most don’t have more than one or two devices that outputs the component (so they just hook it up directly to the TV). Also, there is no bass management. The crossover is permanently set at (from what I have read) 100 MHZ. This may cause problems for those with super small speakers and a sub (as they would probably want to have it set to 120). The 100 makes me scratch my head a bit since the most common setting is 80, but none of this a problem for me since I don’t use a subwoofer. There is no on screen set up, but the set-up is really pretty straightforward on the receiver so this again is not a problem. The one thing that I wish it did have was a lit remote since I use it in the bedroom. Maybe once I get used to it I won’t need the lights but I do for now. The remote is otherwise pretty good and runs the satellite receiver, the TV, VCR and CD player with no problems.

When compared to a lot of other receivers out there this one does not have a lot of options that are becoming standard, but what this does have it has in spades – good sound. I would recommend it to anyone that can live with its limitations.

Purchased At:   Barrett's in Napervi

Submitted by Gary Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
At the price? (in USD) Fantastic.. not just a bargain, but a performer as well. I was choosing between the marantz and a harman kardon, forgot the model, but it was slightly pricier.

The marantz wins hands down. great with movies, as well as music. Transparent, and smooth. Should listen to it on Dolby ES6.1, amazing stuff, stereo separation is unlike anything i've ever heard before for movies.

for those of you who mention about the lack of bass.. you should hook up a subwoofer.. ;)
i only run bookshelf speakers, 4 of them, and 1 centre.. and a rather small mordaunt short subwoofer, which cost me USD 170. Thats the best way to get the max out of DTS, and dolby movies. the way its designed to be ;) IMHO

Purchased At:   marantz dealer

Submitted by jdsony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
The first thing I noticed when I set this amp up is the lack of bass. I am used to using older 70's amps and the sound that they have so keep that in mind. My 15watt per channel Sansui amp had a very rich sound with huge amounts of bass and was great for music.

This amp does have a lot going for it though. The sound is very clear and concise, it is amazing for home theater and is good for music. I don't have a subwoofer yet and I'm a little disappointed with the lack of punch out of my Dahlquist speakers which are capable of 35hz on the bottom end. The bass and treble settings are only -6db to 6db so adjustment isn't much of an option.

The features on this receiver are good and are more than enough for my needs, it lacks in features compared to other brands but definetely makes up in quality. The menu's are simple to navigate and the remote is decent but isn't completly intuitive.

The top reason's I bought this receiver were:

-The looks (It looks great, I love the big knobs and the symetrical layout, it's also built like a tank)
-The Brand (I prefer non mainstream brands since non audio people have never heard of them and they are usually a higher quality product)
-The Price (It was on sale $150 off and I couldn't pass it up especially since it was 6.1 and nicer than anything else in the price range)

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Justus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was DEFINATLY the first guy in town that bought this receiver. That’s good and bad. I bought it sight unseen, but have been happy with the performance. It has all the standard features and a few that usually don’t come in the 400 price. It of course has limited in/out puts. It is 80w x6 channel, which is ok, but you may want more then 80w. (I do) The set-up menu is primitive and doesn’t have anything that can display on my TV, only on the receiver face. It has good detail in the sound level controls. It was consistent from level to level on my Sound level meter. I had a Harman Kardon before and like this allot more. Besides you would need to go 2x the price to get the same level of performance.

Purchased At:   Audio Etc