Marantz SR-780 A/V Receivers

4.81/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this thing! Even though it's not perfect, it has everything I was looking for and more. No DTS? Big deal. I strongly recommend a very good set of interconnects, as this component will let you hear and appreciate what you've been missing with lesser equipment. As for the higher than most price I payed, reason was I bought this about 3 mos. after it came out, and worth every penny. For being rated at 80 WPC, this sucker doesn't even break a sweat. Put it this way, I've had it pushing over 105db through the mains, clean as a whistle, with a lot left in reserve.

Purchased At:   Soundings

Submitted by Mike Hayden a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got a great buy on this when the 7000 came out. Short on digital inputs (one coaxial and one optical)but great sound! The remote is exceptional and easy to use. On music, it will let you hear the flaws in your recordings. On DVD's it just blows you away. If you can still find one, remember the remote alone is worth $200.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
This unit is very versitile. It has served me well as I added DVD, upgraded speakers, added an outboard amp and sub. I think it sounded good with the internal amps through my Vandy's, but is better with the Classe.

I AM IN LOVE with the remote, and have encouraged several others to buy it separately ($175 on ebay).

I bet two channel sound will improve when I eventually go with separates, but for a receiver, I have been very happy.

A tip on getting the best sound from your center channel (recommended by Richard Vandersteen): I tested my center response with my system set up with the sub getting the .1 sub output. No matter whether I set the center to large or small, I had a big bass gap (40-80hz), since my sub is set to put out from 20-40 (for best blend in 2-ch), and the center speaker only reaches to 80. I solved this problem by sending the Right and Left outs to the sub. Now, with the receiver set for "no sub", that missing bandbass of 40-80 gets reproduced by the L&R speakers.

Assoc Equip:
Pioneer 515 dvd
Marantz 630 pro cdr

Submitted by Pete a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
I used this receiver at home for about a week and it worked well and sounded great but I returned it to wait for the newer Marantz line to arrive with DTS decoding, external 6 Ch Inputs, and extra Digital Inputs/Outputs.
The SR-780, sounded better at Prologic decoding than my SR-7000 does, but I rarely use this surround mode anyway with DVD's. On digital sources I would say the sound quality is comparable for DD but prefer the DTS sound that is not available on this unit.
The included remote is one of the best available on the market with it's only weakness being a bit heavy and oversized to hold.
As a HT Receiver it's a quality unit but was disappointed in the sound quality of 2 Ch audio thru the CD analog input. The dynamics and imaging seemed compressed going through the receiver's electronics. A direct bypass switch on the unit would have helped that somewhat maybe, but if you're not too fussy about your music it may not bother you.

All in all, this older receiver will still continue to outperform some new kids on the block but you may want to consider some newer options available on Marantz's current receiver line.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've dreamed about this baby for 2 years, yep it's as good or better than I imagined. The sound if absolutly superb.
The receiver is built like a battle ship and although it doesn't have component video i/o, neither does anything else I own - nada problema. I recenlty hooked up a Sony DVP S330 and let the sparks fly. Wow, truely amazing Dolby Digital processing. I'm still awed at the capability of this receiver, and, I was able to use my old one as the amp for the multi-room function. Very cool. Everything you've read about the remote is true, I have LITERALLY taken the batteries out of ALL my other remotes and put them in the closet. Talk about pegging the ol' spousal acceptance meter.
If you've been thinking about this one act fast, Marantz has stopped making them and the replacement does'nt appear to be anywhere near the same receiver, and no mkII Remote.
I thought it more than a little interesting that my local high-end audio dealer REFUSED to even consider selling his SR780 floor model after seeing what the replacement models were like. Hhhhmmmmm. BTW, I think HiFi.com still has some available. Good luck.

Atlantic Technology: