Marantz SR-4000
Description: Dolby Digital® decoding, plus Dolby Pro Logic® decoding and a variety of additional surround modes for excellent surround sound versatility. Multi-channel amplification-70 watts (into 8 ohms) into the three front channels and 40 watts into each surround channel, for clear and powerful movie soundtrack reproduction. Wide variety of audio and video inputs, outputs and switching facilities, front-panel A/V inputs and three digital inputs (two coaxial, one optical, plus one coaxial out). Virtual 3-D Surround for cinema-like surround sound ambience from stereo program sources. Six-channel direct inputs to accommodate future surround sound formats or an external DTS digital decoder.

Submitted by punitbhatia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the SR-4200

Was looking for a receiver for both music as well as movies. Didn't want to spend too much (around $400) but didn't want to compromise on sound quality either - don;t we all ;)

Did tons of research and shortlisted 4 receivers - the Yamaha RXV520, Denon AVR1602, Harman Kardon AVR2000 and this one. Drew up a long list of some 40 odd parameters and evaluated all 4 (yeah, i tend to get obsessive about these things!)

Here's what I thought of them... The HK sounded too bassy, and I got scared reading about all the quality problems they've had... Denon sounded really good, no distortion at all but they too have had some problems (the Dolby Digital decoding chips in this model and a couple others don;t work with some movies like Jurassic Park 3) - Also, because of some complicated reasons, it cost almost $800 in India! The Yamaha sounded too bright for my taste and also had only one coax input... Also, I didn't think I would ever really use all the DSPs

The Marantz sounded the most balanced - particularly when listening to music... It's build seemed really solid and the front was very simple and classy.

Purchased At:   local store in New D

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I dissed a $1600 NAD component system back in '99 due to utter dissapointment with their technology & bought the SR-4000 to replace the rack. My interest is exclusively in 2/ch stereo music listening. Although the CSW salesman did not have a high opinion of this "bottom" model, it more than suited my needs. The rotary input selector initially caught my eye, along with the overall understated design. I was not dissapointed. The sound is clear and crisp, just the way I like it. Problem is, I now have to upgrade my inexpensive speaker system to optimize the SR 4000 capability.
So far, no defects in performance; but I use none of the surround sound features.
From the "Score to American Beauty" to Tantric's 1st release, the quality of sound has exceeded the unit's price tag.
My only beef, and it's a real irritation, is the inaccessiblily to the tone controls!! Go back to rotary knobs!

Purchased At:   CSW

Submitted by Bob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
The sound is outstanding. My high end setup has a Conrad Johnson preamp and an Audio Research amp. When an a/v receiver can be comparable it is truly remarkable. Admittedly, I am using Sonus Faber Concertos as my front speakers (and they are great), nevertheless this receiver drives them and gets the best from them. I am surprised and delighted. I purchased the 4000 in refurbished condition because it had a 1 year warranty from Marantz and I had heard some Marantz products recently and was impressed. I felt this would be an interim purchase but I don't think I'm replacing this unit any time soon.

Purchased At:   Accessories 4 less

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the sr-4200. I am an avid music listener who wanted to be able to use my dvd players full capabilities with a digital reciever. I always thaght that my Kenwood sounded good but was blown away by the sound from the sr-4200. The only downfall is now I really need to upgrade my speakers to take full advantage of the home theater. The rear and center channels are extremely weak(They were free with my first sorround reciever) and make the home theater experience a little painful. I have heard this reciever with the definitive technology pro 100 sat system and can't wait until I can purchase them. I had listened to the Yamahas of equal value but will never regret this purchase.

Purchased At:   Sound Central

Submitted by Bryan Wu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Marantz SR-4200 (not SR-4000) A/V receiver.

Upon the recommendation of those of you on AudioReview.com, I decided to venture into the world of a/v components with a SR-4200 (my previous stereo being a JVC FS-5000 desktop stereo). I limited my receiver budget to under-$400, and I spent quite a bit of time comparing the objective measures of many different brands and models at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Cambridge Soundworks. At the end, I decided to stick with Marantz because of: 1.) the 3-year standard warranty, 2.) more bang for the buck in terms of decoding systems and inputs/outputs, and 3.) Marantz's overall strong reputation. Two weeks after my foray into Marantz, I don't regret my decision at all. I fully agree with previous reviewers that the manual is skimpy and the remote takes some getting used to. The SR-4200 is a keeper!

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks