Kenwood VR 509 A/V Receivers

4.31/5 (26 Reviews)

This receiver brings the advantages of Pointless RF remote control and component video switching to fulfill your system needs. Advanced circuitry decodes Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II, and CS Circle Surround sources. Five additional DSP modes provide exceptional flexibility. A six-channel analog audio input is perfect for DVD-A. KAM-1 amplifiers (100 watts x 5) control your speakers for clear, articulate sound.

Submitted by baroti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought Kenwood VR 509 from Golden Electronics, Yonge St. Toronto, for 359 CAD + TAX = 412 CAD in February 2002.
I am very happy with this receiver; the DTS soundtrack from "Pearl Harbor" and "Gladiator" was very impressive for me, far better than the Dolby Digital encoding. I have no sound problem skipping the chapters and I can suggest using optical cables.
The unit is getting warm playing from CD /DVD input, but I am using a very open cabinet. I did not notice special warming when I used the built in radio tuner.
I had a very pleasant surprise in Dolby ProLogic 2 mode listening to the soundtrack from various stereo VHS movies played on a HiFi VCR: I was able to hear some spatial refinements from the original stereo source, like waterfalls dripping and whispers in the back speakers, thus the back speakers become alive, enriching the sounds and the sensations.

Purchased At:   Golden Electronics -

Submitted by j_ignacio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
All in all this receiver fits my budget and my musical and movie selections. Although a bit complicated at initial set-up, thoroughly reading the manual as well as using a bit of common sense can you playing music or movies within 2-3 hours. I suggest to get familiar with the remote. It took almost 3 days for me to be comfortable enough to operate it in the dark. Although the cycling of the different DSP's might take a bit of an effort, I've discovered that when experimenting with different musical styles, the comparisons can be quite entertaining. Yo Yo Ma's Soul of the Tango is an excellent example of hearing the dynamic and fast transition of music that the receiver is able to handle. Bobby Caldwell's voice on 'Come Rain or Come Shine' album is breath-taking as I can hear his vocals and strings of the band very naturally without hints of compression. The pairing of my Boston Acoustics VR950's clinical characteristics are balanced by the amplifiers warmness and natural delivery. The sub woofer out as well as the speaker outs for mains and center were very handy and able to handle thick ofc speaker cables. Only glaring criticism is the smaller connecters relegated to the surrounds and 'B' speakers. The unit runs very cool, but I recommend keeping it in a very ventilated area. The only time that the overload protection clicked on was the extremely dynamic portion of Aaron Copeland's 'Fanfare For the Common Man' which was very loud. Only this slight shortage in dynamic headroom would belie the comparatively affordable price. But for anything under $500, you cannot expect the better than average imaging, the deep soundstage, and high end extension nor the multitudes of connections that is offered. I highly recommend this receiver to anyone who would like a nice introduction to both Dolby Pro Logic II music and HT.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by HolyKingfish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
First I'd like to say how helpful this site is and thank everyone for posting.

I've only had this receiver for a month, but I am very pleased with it. At first I was concerned that the sound quality would not be very good through this receiver especially since its connected to a Psb 8C center, Psb Image 1B rears and front Accusound monitors, but the sound is great at normal listening level. I haven't been able to give it a good test run since I live in an apartment. The manual is vague at best and does not fully explain the features of the remote/receiver or how to use them.

I made the choice to try this receiver since it was very inexpense, had all the features I wanted and had a phono jack. I listen to a lot of vinyl and was impressed by the excellent sound quality that is lacking in a lot of other machines.

The only compliant I have is that I can't listen to music from one source while watching video from another like I could with my Sony. If anyone else knows how to do this, please let me know.

Over heating is possible. I did it. However, I keep the machine in a stereo cabinet (your not supposed to do this). I now leave the door open and it cools down fine.

Overall, this is a great receiver at an even better price.

Purchased At:   Futureshop

Submitted by prim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
they cut my review so..

Also, I've played DVD's with dts tracks and my DVD player supports dts but the 509 always selects Dolby Digital mode when using DVD's. I've never had it go into dts and I don't know why. What am I missing? (one time on a DVD title page both the dts and DD lights came on but the dts went off as soon as I hit play.)

In response to the earlier claims about loosing the first 1 or 2 seconds of audio while the 509 determines the signal. I too have this problem. My DVD player is a Phillips 711 connected via Toslink. This sucks and it makes me mad that I'm now thinking I have to upgrade my DVD player. It only happens when using the prev and next keys for chapter or track.

By the end of the first night that I had it, the remote had learned all the functions of my other remotes and I retired 4 remotes with this one. That ROCKS.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
This receiver packs a lot of punch for the price. I agree that the instructions aren't very clear, but once you figure them out it is a great piece of audio equipment. Just play star wars ep. 1 dvd and you will be sold....

Purchased At:   NFM