Kenwood VR-406 A/V Receivers

3.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

DD receiver

Submitted by Alex a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Unlike the others who have reviewed this product, I think that this receiver, along with the majority of receivers in the triple digit price range, sounds horrible. It has great funcionality and switches inputs on the fly, but the sound it produces just sounds so harsh and tiring. For home theatre purposes (and I know i'll probably get sh** for this), when you watch a movie, all it really takes is booming bass and a super loud system to do the job; sound quality really doesn't matter. So receiver and home theatre-wise, this isn't a bad receiver all; but for sound quality and craftsmanship(you can pull almost every knob off without effort and my Creek is only a quater of the size of the Kenwood and it weighs just about the same), this receiver is horrible.

Purchased At:   Good Guys (It was cheap)

Submitted by Gaven Chen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
It is a great amp for its price. At first when I bought it I thought this is not a 100 w per channel amp. The reason for it is at its 50 precent mark (voulme) did not sound and much a 80 watt per channel amp at its 30 precent. However the real increasement of the volume doesn't start after 70 percent. (so 70 % on this amp sound lounder than 70% of the other 80 watt amp) This suddent power increase could be annoying sometime (nevertheless it will give you 100W per channel, @ 90 percent my any big tower speaker won't be able to handle it, it bumps like a mo_fo). The most important of all this amp doesn't amplify anything below 40 Hz, so if you want to hear the low Hz you need a power sub hook up. I still recommand you buying the one model up the 407s. Because if you are a bass lover like me, you don't want your nice speaker's ability be limited~ hey its only 50 bucks more!

Purchased At:   AB sound

Submitted by John R. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I blew my Home Theater Budget on my speakers and TV so when it came time to pick up a reciever I had very little green paper left. I got this thing home and was blown away by how GREAT it sounds! I was even more shocked after upgrading to a Denon 3801. The 407 sounded better (with the Denon not calibrated of course) which leads me to belive that there are alot of people out there not getting their moneys worth out of their equipment.

CALIBRATE YOUR EQUIPMENT WITH AN SPL METER PEOPLE!!

Purchased At:   Futurshop

Submitted by Tim H. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:

I bought my reciever almost a year ago..I think it is a great value for the price..
The sound is great for DVD...but invest in quality speakers and a good Sub Woofer, that makes all the difference.
Now that you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 with some tv programs ,with a proper Sat. reciever, it's a must to have a dd decoder..

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Eric Tunell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver for my bedroom home theater to hook up to a 20" Sony Wega, JBL HLS 810's, and a Toshiba SD-1600 DVD player. I knew that I wouldn't have a 5.1 setup or anything very fancy for my bedroom so I opted to save $50 and get the VR-406 without DTS instead of the VR-407. I belive the 407 also has more inputs, but frankly I've been very pleased with the 406. It provides plenty of power to my speakers and looks and sounds great. The dimming function for the display is excellent for watching movies or listening to music at night. Though some might not like the remote, I actually enjoy its small size (about 5.5" long and 2" wide), though admittedly it is not able to turn my cable box on and off. I'll probably end up buying a new universal when I get the money. If you're not looking to spend too much money on a new receiver but are still looking for great performance, I'd definately reccomend the 406. I have no doubts that it will last me for years to come.

Purchased At:   800.com