Kenwood VR-357 A/V Receivers

4.15/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $320.00

Submitted by Charles Hedlin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great sound. Purchased as part of a set at Sam's club. The passive subwoofer was ok, but only when run off of a seperate amp. When used passively the center channel was left out and sounded tinny. I purchased an active subwoofer on ebay and have no complaints.

Purchased At:   Sam's Club

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
The power that is claims to have isnt what it outputs, other then that and the problem of over heating, its good

Submitted by Victor Mendez a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Can go wrong with this receiver!!!!!

Purchased At:   Sams

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got this real cheap at UBID, got it for someone else, but they failed to come through so I hooked it up. I have a Infinity Video 1 Center with 2 PSB Bronze for the R L Cjannels. And 2 Boston HD5's for surround. I have a JBL 250 W powered Sub on it. I hooked it up first with cheap Kenwood and Aiwa speakers, it sounded ok actually. The sound is pretty clear and rich even using cheap speakers. I hoked up my other higher end speakers, and had no problem with it at all. I would not have been disappointed if I had paid 300 dollars for it. Good sound for a cheap price..can't go wrong.

Purchased At:   UBID

Submitted by Steve Lopez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
100w X 5 channels sounds pretty respectable in my book, but there is no way that that is the true power output of this receiver. I used to have a Sony 5.1 capable receiver (it had inputs for 6 channels, but had no built in decoder), that was listed as 80x5, and it blew this Kenwood Away. The Kenwood does have good sound, and is very easy to use, but in my eyes it is a very weak amplifier. Don't get me wrong, I love this receiver, and I would recommend it to anyone not wanting to spend their life savings on audio equipment (Although I will when I get out of College).

Purchased At:   Sam's Club