Kenwood VR-3080 A/V Receivers

4.44/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Dolby Digital - Dolby DTS - A/V Receiver - 100 watts x 5 channels - Video Inputs: 4 Composite, 4 S-Video - Video Outputs: 1 Composite, 1 S-Video

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
An excellent AV receiver with a simple front panel and silver finish which gives it a unique presence amongst your other black boxes for good reason, it's the sound center of your entire AV setup.

My only real complaint (and the one that drops this from a five star rating) is the lack of cross-connect between
the composite and Svideo connections.
For example, if you have a VCR composite input, a DVD Svideo input, and one Svideo output to your TV/projection set, you won't be able to see the VCR.
A real design flaw that should've been spotted and fixed.

Purchased At:   Teletime Electronics

Submitted by Jeff Sumbillo a

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit about a year ago....It's been working great. Just wanted you all to know who own the unit and have been complaining about the remote. If you contact kenwood, they will give you a FREE mini kicker remote control. It's a nice hand held and programmable (slightly). It doesn't lag like the LCD remote. It will control volume, power annd input selection nicely. You can use the LCD for configuration and showing off and the kicker for normal use. The unit has worked well, but I've had a problem with the bass management. I just bought a sub and I cannot get the main speakers to cut off the frequency at 80hz. The sub gets 80hz and below..as well as the main speakers. I don't know if this is a problem with my unit or not. Besides that, the unit is great.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Timothy Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love my kenwood i actually have the krf-v7772d, its the same as the 3080 but just has 120 and 240 voltage and 20 more watts a channel in surround mode for a total of 120..its sold in the overseas american military exchanges..where as the 3080 is just sold in the states.The lcd remote actually does not bother me at all..i love it..Great sound in dolby and dts from my panasonic dvd 310 player, Dont really have the bass problem in stereo/cd mode cause i have a 12 inch 150 watt powered kenwood sub so thats not a prob. My Infinity studio monitor speakers sound wonderfull with this receiver, i have no complaints about this reciever..its an awesome value for the money!!!!!! I can see myself hanging on to this one for years and years to come..all that dolby digital ex 6.1 and dts 6.1, heck in the past year i have seen hardly any dvd's with these 6.1 formats on them..the 5.1 standard is here to stay i think..Buy this receiver u will not be dissapointed!

Purchased At:   military exchange

Submitted by Michael Wong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you're not looking to spend a lot of money for a home theater system, I highly recommend. I love the way it looks. What really caught my attention was the LCD remote. All my friends think it's the coolest thing. I love the design of it, very sleek. Easy to hook up and has the most connections available, RCA, S-video, optical, and more.
I had it hooked up to a Klipsch Quintet 4 speaker + 1 Center, with a 10" sub, all from Klipsch. It couldn't sound any better, with the Dolby Digital and DTS. Don't pay for than $300 online, in stores, you can find it for about $399.

Submitted by Rick Gilbert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought my 3080 on ubid.com for $290. It took a long time for them to reinventory but for the price I can't complain. I have two pairs of klipsh quintets running as my fronts and surrounds. Along with a klipsh sc-1 center and sub. All are connected via goldplated bananas and monster cable. Sound is superb. A real theatre effect occurs with DVD's but for stereo music the wattage just isn't there. It still sounds great but I really have to crank up the volume nob for intensity. If you can pick one up for around $300, I would highly reccommend it. Also the klipsch-kenwood combination is a winning combination for home theatre.

Atlantic Technology :