Kenwood VR-207 A/V Receivers

3.2/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

100 watts x 5 channels Dolby Digital Ready

Submitted by Wendel Schultz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have mixed feelings for the VR207. It was a good price on an entry-level Dolby Digital receiver (no DTS decoder). I like the many inputs you may have as well as the true 5.1 decoding you get. It really makes DVDs come alive. There is even a separate channel for the subwoofer (not amplified). I liked the price, which was the main deciding factor as a poor college student.

Looking back, I would have gladly parted with another hundred dollars for a better unit. The unit can't reproduce music too terribly loudly. There are not seperate bass/mid/treble controls. You must toggle in a circular fashion from one audio source to the next, instead of one-button operation to choose CD player, etc. The remote ticks me off. If you drop it or bump it, you must reprogram it. I know all the codes of all of my peripherals and how to program that stupid thing by heart. I have had to about once a week for the past almost year. When I replaced the batteries, it stopped communicating with the receiver itself. Manual volume and source selection the past little while. (Waiting to hear back from Kenwood on that one.) When the remote worked, I could control everything in one place, which I really liked.

For the entry-level pricing, it is a good little workhorse, but I would save your money for another month and get a better unit. I know I am looking around for something a bit better, after not even a year of owning it.

Submitted by David Lin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Good quality for the price. This model performs very well as for casual listening. As a bedroom system replacement, the unit performs very well and accomodates the limited connection requirements that one has for basic listening.

Submitted by Dino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I liked this receiver, when I first got it, and I still do. However, in this day and age, the lack of Dolby Digital does hurt the overall package. If you don't need Dolby Digital, then this is great.

Submitted by Peter a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
Bought the VR-207 when my 15 year old AKAI amp finally died. Have been impressed with the clarity of sound (through Paradigm front, rear and centre speakers) but have been disappointed with the lack of bass even at full bass boost. Also programming the remote to control other audio and video components was an exercise in perseverance. I'm looking forward to adding a DVD player to my system in order to fully utilize the VR-207's other features.

Submitted by C. Hitchner a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I believe the VR-207 is the same as the VR-209 except the 207 is digital ready and cost less for that reason. I did a lot of shopping and research on receivers. The Yamaha and Kenwood seemed the best value for the money. I recently purchased it for a surround system and it sounds great. The functions are fairly easy, but the volume control is backwards and takes some getting use to. Paid $250.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener