Kenwood KR-V8010 A/V Receivers

3.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

Submitted by DB Valencia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a perfectly adequate receiver, which has served me well since around 1992. It is very solid and reliable, and has survived 3 moves with clumsy movers and all. The only thing that doesn't work anymore is the volume control adjustment on the remote control. Now I have to drag my butt up from the couch every time I need to adjust the volume. My wife says that this alone is not a justification for upgrading my system.

I bought this unit at a time when I couldn't afford a really nice system. It is definitely a good value for your dollar, but if you demand excellent sound quality, then you should go with a Denon or HK. I have listened to other Kenwoods - even higher end ones - and they just don't sound as good.

I have to admit that this receiver has some nice features and a lot of power for the money, but you know the old adage - you get what you pay for. The sound quality just isn't that great. There is too much distortion, and it's hard to get a good sound, even with a 7 band EQ. The surround sound delay is okay, but if the sound is distorted, then what's the point?

If you are on a budget then this is probably the best receiver for you, especially now that you can get these used for probably $100-200. Otherwise, go with a brand like Denon or Harman Kardon.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by trevor mcclure a

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
no problems since 1990. huge power and great surround features.

Submitted by Joeseph Carson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Has worked great for years, but I now am upgrading to a newer kenwood model. It has a great secondary market though. I sold it for $175.00.

Purchased At:   Almas Hi Fi

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is for the KRV 8040 model. I bought it new at Circuit City in 1992, I think. I was looking for a DPL receiver and this was the best I could afford. This is basically a garden-variety component offering all the current digital gadgets and lots of power for the money.

Overall, the sound quality and reliability (and esthetics) have been worse than the old Yamaha receiver it replaced. Several weeks ago, the unit went dead. So, I went out to BestBuy looking for a new dolby digital/DTS unit to replace it. What I found was a wall rack full of look-alike, sound-alike black boxes that I wouldn't want in my living room.

Then it occurred to me that I would be happier with good quality vintage stereo equipment than with the latest digital format surround sound gadgetry. I started with a like-new Yamaha CR-820 purchased on ebay for $85. What a fantastic piece of equipment. It performs flawlessly, looks great, and is built to last forever. Now if I can only find a nice pair or AR-3s....

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Tsachi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this one from a dealer for a very good price.
Watching a movie with this receiver is a big fun and it gave me lots of hours enjoying DD films.
Watching "Saving Private Ryan" with it is unimaginable.
BUT, play a CD, and after 2 seconds of listening all you will want to do is turn it off. IT'S HORRIBLE!
A super poor sound. The treble is OK, but mid-range and low-range are simply bad. The bass is not clear, the voices of the singers disappear somewhere inside its circuits and trying to control the treble and bass (which cannot be done while in DD mode (!!!)) makes it even worse.
I'm now using a pair of Eltax Liberty 3+ as front speakers and it made the sound a little better than the old speakers I had before, still, it sounds bad.

Let me put it this way, if you intend to buy a cheap receiver for HT ONLY, then go get it!
BUT, if you want to play some quality music, STAY AWAY! This one is not for you, add some money and get a Denon or Yamaha.

B.T.W.
After listening to some new models of Kenwood (KRF-5030,
7030 etc...) I came to the conclusion that ALL Kenwood
receivers sound bad, not a speceific model.

Purchased At:   local dealer