Kenwood KR-V7070 A/V Receivers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Dolby SS Receiver

Submitted by ximhot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought my KR-V7070s on ebay.com. Didn't expect much from this price but when it arrived, it gave the best surprise so far on ebay. It is very well built and all the functions are easy to use and great on music or movie. Powerful and clean. Initially I wanted it to be used in my work area for a pair of bookshelf speakers. I hooked it up with my video source and tested with a few movies. Wow, it is absolutely great with suround sound! Not to be compared to my friend's HK high end but very enough for my humble 12*15 family room. I saved big on buying an AV receiver/amplifier and spent the money on movies. I bought another KR-V7070 for my work area (this time I waited long enough to snap a great deal on ebay). It has terrific FM signal pickup and I am very satisfied. I have owned them for over 3 years and they work like a charm. Especially the one in work area, I almost let it on day and night and it never gets overheated or having any problem. I think it is enormously undervalued on the used market. Go grab one if you are on a budget!

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Submitted by cmnoa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm guessing mine is a 2003 model and i got it a week prior to this review. It's an amazing machine which is also THX certified. I love it and it will take me far along my path of home theaters.

600 watts x 6 channels for 6.1 surround sound, 6th channel could be the surround rear center speaker or it can be adjusted to be a subwoofer (not counting the already supplied subout), a 7th preout channel and all the surround decoding you can ask for.

You guys have to get this receiver... THX CERTIFIED!!! Also did you guys know you may receive the THX demo disc for buying a THX component? Yes you can, but retailers have a right to refuse the distribution of the demo disc, but you can ask for it with high hopes. I got mine from a different source, but it's for me to know and you to find out. The THX trailers like tex, tex2 (moocan), and tex ex, ect. (the thx trailers are usually at the begining of thx movies). Remember, the demo disc isn't for sale for the consumer market. go to www.thx.com for more info.

Back to the receiver... i don't regret buying it... especially for the price i got it for. I love the sound it makes while in the various surround modes.

Purchased At:   www.etronics.com

Submitted by fuehne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought this unit in '96, and have had no problems until recently. For the 1st time, I have connected a set of 'B' speakers AND rear surrounds. Now the rear surround channels have no output. Advise against this setup, unless someone has experienced this before and found a workaround. I could have possibly fried the rear channels by not having the correct impedance setting when connecting.

Submitted by Jon M. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great receiver. I just upgraded to the new Kenwood VR-510 with Dolby Digital, Circle Surround Sound, and DTS. It wasn't until I made the upgrade, probably expecting more of a difference in the sound quality that I appreciated the 7070. Even though it's only Pro Logic, it has a great sound to it that is not easily surpassed. I got the 510 at a great price - $375, but if I had paid any more for it, I don't know if I would have felt the cost effectiveness of the upgrade.

I won't be giving up the 7070 anytime soon, I'll find a use for it somewhere else in the house!

Submitted by Jaron Swofford a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love it, this is the machine that I started on and It is a wonderful piece of equipment.

TARA LABS: