JVC RX-884VBK A/V Receivers

3.73/5 (101 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Submitted by cray1801 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Nice receiver, lots of features, good price point.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Horace Gambrell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this for 449.00 and thought I had a good purchase until I hooked it up. First came the infamous HISS then 18 months later, the remote died. Now in it's fifth year it refuse to respond to commands from the remote? Is five years the LIfe expectancy of this Product?

Purchased At:   American Home Theate

Submitted by Kidhorn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had mine for 3 years and it just completely died. It had problems from day 1. I had to send it back to the factory to fix a problem with the sub out and couldn't use it for 6 weeks after buying it. I've had lots of problems with JVC products and I think I'll never buy another product from them.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by rellufnalla a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had the 884 for three years now.
I have had to take it to the shop once for a blown fuse. Other than that - no problems. The absolute best thing about the thing is the AV Compulink. It operates all of my system with one remote and one push of a button. Hit the power button, the receiver and the TV turn on. Press play for the DVD or VCR and it switches everything for you. Press CD and the onscreen menu pulls up on your screen and you choose which music list you want to play. I have noticed how my 11 year old son will show off the system to his friends. He puts a movie into the DVD tray and closes the tray. Everthing turns on and they're ready to watch. The kids go "Wow, that's so cool!"

I have read a lot about noise problems and have never experienced any. I use an Energy Take 5 speaker system with the 10 inch sealed sub and have always been impressed with them for home theater use.

With the new plasma sets coming out, I am getting serious about a 50 inch set when JVC has one available with Compulink. I will probably retire the 884 (give it to my son) and by the top of the line JVC replacement. Add a set of Veritas 2.2s and I will be good to go for home theater and music for a few more years.

Purchased At:   online store

Submitted by edbo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought this unit in mid '98 to start my HT system. Reciever has been very reliable and runs my Bose AM-10s quite efficiently. JVC does make good quality products (unlike SONY) and they are usually a good value as well. I've found the power on this unit quite substantial in HT use, but a little lacking in stereo use. The DSP processing leaves a lot to be desired though, and the unit does not switch into Dolby Digital/Surround modes automatically so you have to go hit the "Mode" button on the reciever (The remote lacks this as well!). Unit is pre-DTS which would have been nice feature to have. If I only knew what I know now back then, I would have waited for DTS recievers to have become available (another six months). Unit also does not contain composite video inputs for HDTV/Progressive Scan. Still unit has performed without any problems and given me nearly four years of problem free usage which I cannot say for my previous Sony reciever. This is my second JVC reciever (I owned a stereo reciever I bought new in '77 and yes, it plays as good as the day I bought it as well!).

Purchased At:   Circuit City