JVC RX-6500V A/V Receivers

3.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Dolby Digital/DTS receiver

Submitted by damanneal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this at a great price from a guy in my aparment complex who was moving, and had also coincidentally upgraded to a new Harman Kardan setup. I thought, hey for 25 bucks, how can I go wrong, you know? I have had really good luck with it, powering my system with no problems. I have no issues using the sub as others have reported, maybe it was an issue on earlier models. I often run it in two channel plus sub mode, as my main speakers are smaller bookshelfs, and sound better with the reinforcement of the sub at the lower end. Overall, a good entry level receiver, unless you are a person with more than four or five components, you should be pretty happy with this, and it will serve you well for your first few years of home theater. The only reason I will probably upgrade is that I work at a retailer where I get discounts and I want something with 5.1 input so I can fully enjoy SACD and DVD-Audio.

Purchased At:   moving sale

Submitted by indyblake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this receiver to replace an aging Pioneer unit that lacked modern surround sound capabilities. In non-ProLogic mode, it performs very well. Plenty of power to drive my new Bose 301s, and a pair of older floor speakers. I recently upgraded to surround sound by purchasing a pair of rear speakers, a center speaker and a 10" sub woofer. Once I had everything setup, the sound field definently changed, making DVDs sound more like what you would expect at the cinema. After reading the manual a few times, I think I've finally figured out how to adjust levels, delay, subwoofer output etc. But the sub DOESN'T WORK in surround mode!! And if you try to listen to an FM radio broadcast, you get static and very low volume levels. Additionally, the built-in graphic equalizer only allows adjustment of hi & low frequencies, not midrange.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by John Parris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this reciever as a replacement for my old Memorex Dolby surround amp. There was a huge mix up and some money problems, so I had to purchase this model refurberished instead of a NEW JVC RX-9000, but I'm probably better off saving that extra cash, because I plan to upgrade to an Onkyo sometime this year.

There are three big problems about this unit that arent listed above. Some of them could be due to this being an older unit (might have been fixed in later models) or because it was refurberished, but they are at least noteworthy.

1. Noisy center channel (this is the big one). I get a somewhat muffled, staticy sound from my center speaker. At first I thought this was due to the speaker itself, but I tried out 4 different speakers, same results. I think all the JVC recievers have this quality, because the results were the same on my father's RX-6000VBK (purchased NEW from Circuit City). And my Pinnacle center speaker seemed much more rich in my friend's Sony STR-DE845 and even his Aiwa 5.1 minisystem (suprise).

2. Digital input allocation. The way the input assignment is set up on this unit, there is only one combination where both CD and DVD can be set to the optical inputs. Not a big complaint, but I enjoy rearranging my home theater to face different ways and I often find myself pulling the entertainment unit out and getting back there to switch the optical inputs after everything has already been moved around and set.

3. Lack of 5.1 input. I recently purchased the JVC XV-D723 DVD Audio/Video player (excellent, highly reccomend), but I am unable to use the DVD Audio features because my reciever does not have a 5.1 analog input. The DA Converters in my DVD player are also much better than those in my reciever.

This reciever is pretty decent-sounding (except for the center channel, in my opinion). It would make a pretty nice addition to a low-end or mid-end home theater, but since I'm employeed I'll be upgrading my whole system. Not to toally bash it, it has faithfully served me (even refurberished) for well over a year now with no loss in quality.

Purchased At:   Egghead.com Auctions

Submitted by Vince a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Got this one on sale at Circut City w/ free speakers. Should have gotten the Sony. I like the sound from my DVD player, but in analog my 12 inch nice new SUBWOOFER WILL NOT WORK. I have checked and rechecked my settings. I purchased another sub because I thought it was BLOWN, but it was NOT! I can only get my sub to work good in the "live" mode and then I have no CENTER SPEAKER. However, like I said all is well in Digital/DTS modes.

This receiver is driving me CRAZY. I have an email request to JVC and I'm waiting on an answer. I will update based on their response.

If this problem is native to the design, I will get rid if it!

Purchased At:   Circut City

Submitted by Brian Scatlein a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
good receiver for the money, gives you everything you need, digital sound, dts, surround, etc, for the price its at, its a steal

Purchased At:   circuit city