JVC RX DP9VBK Dolby Digital DTS Receiver

Submitted by iroc_d a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am also a JVC audio fan from way back and when I saw that JVC had a THX certified receiver I just had to have one. The RX-DP10V is a very nice receiver but way out of my price range. I then desided to get the RX-DP9V instead. The 7.1 surround with only a amplifier connected was not big deal to me because I have two power amps to utilize anyways and with the feature of having all 7.1 channels with preouts is really what I was looking for in a receiver. This unit sounds awesome. I have my two Carver power amps connected to the receiver one on the Main channels and one on the surround channels and I just can't beleive the sound quality of the receiver. I recommend this unit to anyone.

My list of equipment.

Samsung DVD

Purchased At:   Absolute audio

Submitted by David F a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
The JVC RX-DP9VBK is the latest addition to my home theater system, and I like this reciever, but it wasn't what I expected for the amount I paid for it. Let's get this out of the way: This reciever is very expensive for the average person. If you aren't an audio phile (I am) you will never even notice the difference in sound quality, so I suggest you stick with a cheaper reciever. Anyway, I was impressed with all of the features the JVC RX-DP9VBK and I hope to explain them in depth in the next few paragraphs:

Sound Quality

This is the most important factor when deciding on which reciever to spend your money on. The JVC RX-DP9VBK is really one of the best recievers I have even heard, its just the other features that hinder it. The new technology JVC put in to this reciever is really noticed. The sound is natural and free of static. The reciever allows the sound to flow freely from speaker to speaker without any distortion what-so-ever.
A new feature to the JVC RX-DP9VBK reciever is that "zero inferference" function, which eliminates any iterference within the reciever, only producing the greatest sound.
One of my favorite features used in this reciever is the C.C. (Compression Compensative) Converter and the 24bit (192kHz) P.E.M. D.D. d/A Converter, which improves sound quality in CDs and DVDs, giving you sound the way it was meant to be heard.
The JVC RX-DP9VBK features many different decoding formats, including the basic Dolby Digital, Dolby DTS and Dolby Pro-Logic, but this particular model features THX Select Certification (an extremly high standard in the audio world), which means this reciever also has a THX Surround EX Decoder, furthering the sound quality.
This reciever also features 7.1 channel support, with outputs for 7 speakers and a subwoofer.
And the nice people at JVC even included something for you people with only two front speakers. 3D-PHONIC Virtual Surround Sound creates a Home Theater effect only using your two front speakers (left and right or your basic TV speakers).

Purchased At:   YourInsider.com

Submitted by williamstuart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have always been a JVC fan, so when their first two THX certified receivers came out I had to take a look. The great news is the DP9 might as well be THX Ultra certified. I looked at the service manual for both units, and not only do they share the same componets (like power amp transistors) for the amplifier section, but they actually use the exact same parts, amp, pre-amp, and processing boards. There are spots where componets are missing for the back channels. You will get the same audio quality from the DP10, as the DP9, just without the extra channels. You can order a CD with both service manuals, and many more from www.jvcservice.com. This unit is the most impressive as far as audio quality I have heard in a long time. Pleanty of power. Lots of great features. You can't find a better built receiver.

Purchased At:   legacyaudiovideo.com

Submitted by pitbull a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I looked at Onkyo, Marantz, Sony & JVC. For the price range I was considering, I know it basically comes down to the features you're looking for. For me, this receiver fits like a glove. I couldn't be happier. Everything about it reeks of quality workmanship and design. For years I'd been running a Carver Cube for my stereo power amp. (I know opinions abound about it ... I was happy nonetheless.) I was a little concerned about giving up 200+ watts RMS/channel in the Carver to the 120 watts (in the stereo mode) on the JVC. I do not miss them AT ALL!! This is one clean sounding & musical receiver!! The onscreen menus are fairly straightforward. There are a couple of quirks that aren't really explained very well in the instruction manual. There are inputs galore and A-B speaker outputs that allow me to run my patio speakers. All I can say is that (at this point) I'm very happy!! Well done ... JVC. This is a heavyweight ... 50 freaking pounds!!

Purchased At:   OneCall.com

Submitted by CappyKD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just picked up this AVR to replace my Yamaha rx-v870, First I tried the JVC rx-9010vbk and I thought it sounded good. Until I heard the DP9. My 9010 was only 1 week old and it was my upgrade to my Yamaha Pro-Logic amp... (I have been avoiding the upgrade for the last couple of years and then the bug finally bit me.) I picked up the 9010 for $349. It has some nice features and sounds real good for a sub $400 AVR. Then I read an ad for my local Fry's and they were selling the DP9 for $499. I couldn't resist. I picked it up and went home and swapped it out for the 9010... What a difference... It sounds so good. I was amazed at the quality of the JVC amps in this unit. Especially compared to the 9010 which is the next model down. The MSRP for this receiver is $1100 the MSRP for the 9010 is $550. If you can find a good deal on a DP9 pick it up! I told some others about this special at Fry's and 3 people I know bought one. They are thrilled with their purchase. A few other people I know tried to get the same deal at their local Fry's and were told that it costs $799.. I feel that it would be worth it even at $799. I am using my old Yamaha for the THX EX and DTS ES surround back channels. 7.1 is AWESOME. I am running this receiver along with:

JVC XV-65GD DVD Player
DirecTivo DD of Course
JVS S-VHS VCR
Mitsu 27" Tube (next up JVC av36-802)
Yamaha Dual Cassette deck with Dolby B,C,HX
Yamaha 5 disc CD Changer Coaxial dig out.
Polk Audio RT800I Mains
Polk CS-400I Center
Polk RT28I Surrounds
Polk PSW3000 Sub (Bottom of RT3000P's 600w 2x 8" subs)
Polk S3 surround backs. (10 Y/O Polk bookshelfs hooked up to Yamaha rx-v870)

Purchased At:   Fry's