JVC RX-558VBK

Submitted by dakeener a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used this for more than 3 years now, and I've found it to be a great value for the money. Tuner adequate for my needs. I use it with an MTX ps12 sub, and a pair of Pioneer 3-way speakers. As the center of my "home theater" it is versatile enough for my set up.While this may not be an "audiophile" set up, it sounds very good none the less. For the money, can't be beat.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Jake Graham a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
AVOID this steamin' pile of suck. JVC is pure garbage....it sucks even by "budget standards". Find anything better used in your classifieds. It would be better than buying this new at ANY price......WORTHLESS A/V receiver that will kill the whole "Home Theater" experience for the new guy. I'd give this a rating of "0" if I could.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Devin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Just dont buy this ever!!!!

Purchased At:   god knows where!!

Submitted by Rory a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am only 16 years old but if i coudl go back in time i would of gotten a better reciver then this one it sucks!! ok ok i think you get the point but if you are looking for somthing with a good stereo mode thats about all this things got. but i mean if you bought this thing you are looking for a cheep peace of crap anyway. after buying this i will never buy any JVC-ppop agen!!!

Submitted by Vijay Janardhan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this reciever last Christmas(1999). I saw the power rating, surround sound capability( with 5.1 input) and its price( it was on sale for $180) and decided to go for it. I have a pair of studio monitor speakers, goes by the name FANE and has an impedence of 16 ohms. The 558 is really good with these speakers but I can hear the lack of low frequencies. What more can I expect for a reciever whose freq starts at 40Hz? It does get heated up if I use other speakers like the Pioneer SP-570(book-shelf) with an imp of 8 ohms. When the speaker sensitivity is bad I tend to pump up the vol. and drive the amp to clipping!! But it sure is high power cos it blew off a 50W rms Kenwood book-shelf speaker that I ran on speakers B along with SP-570 as speaker A. The low freq response of Technics SA-EX110 is much better than the JVC(both are rated 100W rms @ 40Hz-20kHz). The tuner section is bad. I have used the Siemens RH-777 tuner and it was superior compared to 558( I used to be a DXer, but not anymore). The speaker connectors are bad too. But, I sure think it is not that bad for what it costs!!