JVC RX-1024VBK

Submitted by Peter Tran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you pay attention, JVC is trying to copy features from Onkyo receivers. But its not that good yet.
Here are weaknesses:
- Rotary knob for audio source selection sucks because you have to turn around to unwanted sources and hearing all the speaker switching noises while changing audio source.
- Poor front panel design, not very user friendly.
- My unit experience occational very loud burst from no where. Mostly during in DVD mode. It scared my guests during parties and embarrassed me as the host.
- The remote control has dark pink led lights and very hard to read in the dark. The remote control is not as user friendly other brands.
- The video source does not stay customized for certain audio sources (VCR, TAPE etc) and I have to reprogram video source too often.
Beside the quality of sound which I'd rate above average, I do not recommend this for a long-time buy. I would pay extra $$ for a more user friendly and more reliable receivers. I am looking for a replacement very soon. Onkyo and H/K are on my wish lists.

Purchased At:   Netmarket

Submitted by chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
i bought this receiver on a lark when a friend found an
amazingly discounted price for it at the end of its
product cycle, and as my first piece of stereo equiptment
that cost >$400, i feel it was a good purchase. i haven't
had any transient problems with it, it sounds good and
drives all speakers sufficiently and is very tunable in
most aspects, and it does play nicely with my jvc tv and
dvd player. my only gripes are that it will not display
rca-inputs thru a svideo output or viceversa, necessitating
plugswaps whenever i want to use an RCA-only device, even
tho i have a mostly-svideo setup.
also the FM stereo receiver has some static-filter which
a nontrivial amount of "sudden bass" (think techno with
mostly melody and a slow bassline) triggers constant muting.
the manual suggests "change to mono" which stinks.

but hey, the thing sounds good and has an amazing number
of features for the price. minor gripes aside, i'd buy
another.

Submitted by J.S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
I entered a review earlier on this product, but after the third time sending this receiver in for repair, I've had it. This model breaks down every 6 months like clockwork. This time the left channel quite working on the DVD input (both line level and digital optical input).
I'm going to ask JVC if they will replace it with a 1028VBK, but they probably won't. I've owned this receiver since July, 1998, and it's probably been out of service a total of 4 to 5 months during my ownership of it. This is totally unacceptable to me, maybe I just got a lemon, but it's becoming very frustrating!! I would think a receiver I paid over $600 for should give me better service than this. Good thing it has a 2 year warranty, hopefully I can get it completely replaced before that time period expires....

Submitted by J.S. a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought an RX-1024VBK Receiver last Fall, shortly after they came out on the market. I have owned 2 other JVC Super Dynamic Class A receivers (I generally buy a new receiver every 2-3 years), and I have to say this one (RX-1024VBK) has the worst sounding amplifier of all of them. Sound is flat and nearly as warm as the older models. After about 4 months of ownership, the receiver started doing some strange things, like popping through the speakers upon power up, shutting down on overcurrent fault when simply switching input modes even with the volume turned all the way down, and the front display going dark for no apparent reason. I was also experiencing distorted sound from the surround channels from time to time, and occasional hiss. Eventually the receiver died completely, and had to return it to JVC for repair. I have had it back for about a week now, and everything appears to be working correctly. My recommendation is if you can find one of these heavily discounted, then buy it. This receivers features for the dollar (bang for the buck) is hard to beat if you can get it for less than $350, especially if you have other JVC comp-u-link equipment.

System:
JVC XL-V251 CD player
Optimus PRO LX-5 Front speakers
Optimus PRO CS-5 Center channel speaker
Infinity BU-2 Subwoofer
Home built dipole surround speakers

Soon to have: JVC XV-511BK DVD player

Submitted by Jason Hardy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is an update to the previous review posted July 13. I had to send the 1024VBK to a local JVC tech. because of the excessive noise on the digital inputs and a thumping noise on the DBS/TV left channel input. There was also a problem with the SVHS losing sync during excessive screen activity. The local tech. called JVC and their tech. told him to have me send it back to the distributor for a replacement because there was too much wrong with it and would take a couple of months for the parts if the parts were available. The local tech. spoke of replacing the K2 interface and/or the Dolby Digital decoder chip along with a couple of switching devices. Luckily the mail order company from where I purchased the unit offered me the RX-1028VBK for an additional $150. It will have it in late July and will post a review of it here.
If feel that these are not uncommon problems with this particular receiver since many mail order houses do have several "open box" specials where people have returned the units for no particular reason. Hopefully the 1028 will improve on the 1024 with the Enhanced Super A amp and a different decoder chip that includes DTS. I'll let you know.