JVC RX-888VBK
Description: DD/DTS Receiver

Submitted by Sean McCarlsbad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've had this 12 years - This unit has NEVER failed me. I worked for a pro-audio company and bought this when the theft of my TOL Sony had occurred.

Almost every negative comment in the dozens I read referred to units bought used (usually on Ebay, thus being packed and shipped by amateurs) or reviewers that didn't convey that they know how to route wires, etc...

This unit is now used to amplify lightpipe (optical digital), coaxal digital, PCM (sourced from digital players along with an external sound box for my computer (both Emu and Digidesign). I keep the connectors clean with 90% isopropyl alcohol, I vacuum the unit and keep air circulation open (using NSF wire shelving its entire life).

The only negative is the long, drawn out menu selection process.

I use MONOPRICE speaker cables, 12AWG OFC (the skinning effect being considered, I use this for everything), Monoprice OFC RCA and coax lines. My lightpipe/opticals are all Philips (got a great deal on them). I have put the Monoprice on all sorts of test equipment and I can honestly say that their stuff performs just as well as Monster Cable like product vs. like product.

Unlike many systems nowadays, these amplifiers put out close-to-genuine RMS ratings, not just pie-in-the-sky peaks. That can be bad for thin wires and crappy speakers. The slew and damping rates are strong and consistent with quality American-made AB amps. This unit has pushed everything from Infinity 12" 3-way towers, Carvin 822s and PM5s, Teac surround speakers, Yamaha NS10s...

Being that this review is 9 years after the most recent ones, I think that the RX-888v BK has withstood the test of time. The DSP chip in this unit is still popular with recording engineers restoring old reverbs so popular with Capitol and Columbia recordings from the dawn of stereo.

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Alot of the complaints I've read haven't happened to me.I have owned this receiver(RX 888 VBK) for over 3 years and it has never let me down.The music pounds and the movies shake,it was perfect for me 3 years ago but now its time for upgrade.

Submitted by DJJamieJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver off of ebay and used it for about 6 months and one day I came home to this odd burning smell. I tracked it down to my JVC receiver that was smoking very badly. I was shocked because the receiver was not on it was simply in standby mode. After I unplugged after a few hours I tried to see if it still worked everything was fine until I tried to use my surround sound then no sound.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by jwyoung a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very nice receiver for a modern JVC model. Nice loud sound, easy to use and nicely featured. This is my first Dolby Digital receiver and I was very pleased to discover that I could get JVC's vaunted K2 Interface AND Dynamic Super-A amps without getting the far more expensive 1028. I also have the 301 minidisc unit and I love the Tex-Compulink feature enabling the receiver to display the song titles of my CDs and MDs.

Purchased At:   CG Electronics

Submitted by Joe Andria a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Never had a problem with this unit. All things I need it to do were done very well. With the price I payed, I think it's a very good deal. The combination, with others units also is primordial like speakers, DVD player etc...
My components:
Receiver: JVC RX 888 VBK
CD Player: JVC XL M418
Tape Deck : JVC TD W354
DVD Player: Toshiba 1200 ( Made in Japan:it's important for me, I've used this player about 1 year and a half, I never had problem like those mentionned in reviews for this unit. The unit Made in China or else is not reliable ....)
Front Speakers : JBL CF120 --- VERY GOOD
Center Speaker : JBL S-Center 3-way --- VERY GOOD
Rear Speakers : JBL N-24 -- do the job very well
SubWoofer : David D-BOX 301
VCR : Sharp VC H992 and Toshiba Multi-System Unit
TV : Toshiba 21 FSSystem ( Unit of 1992 but the picture is incredible with DVD Movie)
Equalizer: TEAC EQA-220