Harman Kardon AVR 525
Description: <ul> <li>85 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD - or 70 x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD (surround mode)</li> <li>Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and Pro Logic II decoding</li> <li>DTS Neo:6 modes</li> <li>5.1 and 7.1-channel Logic 7 Cinema and Music modes</li> <li>multi-room/dual-source output: powered, preamp, and A-BUS</li> <li>illuminated learning/multibrand EzSet remote</li> <li>separate A/V remote for 2nd room</li> <li>Triple X-Over system</li> <li>Multichannel Digital Bass Manager</li> <li>MP3 decoding (for use with gear that can send MP3 via an optical or coax digital connection)</li> <li>HDCD decoding</li> <li>component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth)</li> <li>7.1 preamp out</li> <li>7.1 input</li> <li>front-panel A/V in/out (switchable)</li> <li>on-screen display</li> </ul>

Submitted by woodygg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
Amazing receiver. Excellent musically and for a home theater setup. I was forced to dump my last receiver, a Denon 2802 due to the overactive bladder of one of my pets. I took that opportunity to take a look at receivers again, rather than buying the same receiver. I am glad I did as this receiver has a much richer and warmer sound.

I ended up purchasing a factor refurb and couldn't be happier. The remote quit working after a few months, however one quick call to Harmon Kardon and they immediately shipped out a replacement no questions asked and free of charge.

Purchased At:   Onecall

Submitted by roulettedealer3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from a Sony 915. I kept all the same speakers; Bose 701 fronts, 301 and 201 surrounds and Bose Center. Unbelievable the difference in sound and decoding. Absolutley love it. I added a Velodyne CHT12 this week, and love the LFE choices available

Purchased At:   JandR

Submitted by A-Audiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I use this in my home theater with 3 external Halfer amps, great Pre-amp section and great DD decoding for movies. I have a Anthem tubed pre-amp for music and at times I switch to this for music with very little missing in terms of musical enjoyment, I use a Aragon 8008 amp and only notice a slight amount of air missing and a bit of SS sound vs. the sound of my tubes, but in turn I get more power in the bass region and great control over all still sounds smooth and very listenable.

Purchased At:   store

Submitted by hjscmu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
An excellent value at $750 when I bought it around a year ago...now at $650 is a steal!
Don't worry about 85watts rating...it's very, very capable. In fact, I have never taken it higher than 15 vol (goes to -10) as my drop ceiling starts vibrating too much!
It's truly a joy to own and use - very simple.
I did a TON of research prior to buying and used this site a lot...after a year of use, I'm very pleased.
I set the speaker levels myself and use the Polk RM7600 package with an upgraded subwoofer and 2 extra surrounds (also Polk).
People come over and just can not believe how clear, powerful, and precise the sound is for both movies and music.
GET IT!

Purchased At:   Crazy Eddie

Submitted by Buck Naked a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Within the 1st month it kicked into protect mode and wouldn’t come out. The RMA was as easy as it gets.
(A+ to HK support)
On-screen setup is intuitive.
The remote is 4000 buttons in a pattern that I found easy to learn and is completely programmable to suit your needs.
This is one beautiful piece of work to look at. It is reminiscent of the velvet face of the McIntosh.
The sound is devastating.
I run Klipsch KG4.2 with KG 3.2’s rear surrounds and KG 2.2’s for side surround. My center is a single KG2.2. One KSW-15 subwoofer rounds out the complement.
The Klipsch are a wonderful fit for the HK, taking advantage of the tremendous depth of power offered by the unit.
My single test is the beginning 6 minutes of Lord of the Rings. The “nuclear” explosion during the battle moves me at a molecular level.
This receiver is THE package.
The AVR-7200 must be a mind-blowing experience.

Purchased At:   Buy.com