Denon AVR485S A/V Receivers

• 110 watts per channel into 6 ohms, 1kHz, <.7%THD
  • Discrete power amplifier stage
  • 5/6 Channel Stereo
  • Personal Memory Plus
  • Virtual Surround (for use with 2 speakers)
  • Front left and right bass and treble control
  • 24 bit, 96 kHz DACs
  • 24 bit, 96 kHz digital interface receiver
  • 24 bit, 96 kHz stereo PCM digital playback
  • Speaker A/B (front) selector
  • Front Panel A/V inputs with cover
  • 6 Channel External Input (for DVD-Audio/SACD) with wideband (100 kHz) frequency response
  • Assignable digital inputs, 1 optical, 1 coaxial
  • 3 HDTV Compatible Component inputs, one output (30MHz Bandwith)
  • S-Video and Composite video switching
  • Banana plug compatible speaker terminals all channels
  • Subwoofer Pre-amp output
  • Glow-Key pre-programmed remote features codes from other manufacturers; Glow in the dark main function keys
  • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.8"h x 16.4"d

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Siakol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I bought this receiver because of the name DENON and it's High-Current Power, I didn't mind down grading from 7.1 to 6.1 because i never use the back matrix surround anyway. When I powered this baby it sounded better and LOUDER than my 7.1 SONY at same volume setting (DENON left speaker/SONY right speaker with same input playing) considering only 75 w/pc RMS compared to SONY's 100 w/pc RMS) Hi-Current is better!! <-(now I believe what my friend told me 6 years ago). High-Current is perfect for high volume listening like Home Theater movies. I'll never go back to low-current rating. The remote is confusing at first and does not have a code for my SONY DVD/VCR combo. Top panel gets warm like any Home Theater Receiver. Good value for the money.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by tdavis396 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
    Receiver sounds great - especially when considering the cost. I initially heard this unit in a display model at Ultimate Electronics and was extremely impressed with what I heard. I took a look at the receiver, saw it was a Denon and figured it would be in the ~$1000 range. ~$300 in stores, ~$200 on web. The sound is very clean and crisp. Although there are not as many different surround modes as a Yamaha at a similar price, the ones that are available are probably your ideal field anyhow. One issue I have had, however, is Denon customer support. You should hope that nothing breaks on your device because it may be a long time before you get anything back through the company. The remote did not work upon purchase and I have waited nearly 4 months for them to ship me a new one, which I still have not received. I have called the company >20 times and several of the phone options to talk to customer support has never had anyone on the line. I have talked to someone 4-5 times and the first few times they said they didn't have my remote in stock and now the last 2 times they said the remote would be shipped in the next couple of days. I don't understand how they could not have stock in a part for a brand new item. Although the quality is great, I will be extremely reluctant to buy anything from Denon again.

Purchased At:   ecost.com

Submitted by tman570 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
    Picked this up to replace an older Technics A/V reciever that did not have Dolby Digital. This reciever drives the JBL N26 speakers much better than my old reciever, much louder and cleaner sound. Also VCR tapes sound a million times better thanks to the Pro Logic 2 decoding. The remote is incredible as it replaces almost all of my remotes except Tivo and the PIP features on my TV remote. Goodbye vcr, dvd, sat remotes.

Purchased At:   Stereo Shoppe - Will