Denon AVR-97 A/V Receivers

Dolby Digital & DTS A/V Receiver • DTS decoding • Cinema EQ function • 4 pre-outs (L,C,R,Sub) • 100 watts X 5 channels power amplifier • 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver • 4 digital inputs, 1 coaxial, 3 optical • 24 bit, 96 kHz D/A converters on all channels • DDSC-Digital Dual DSP Surround Processor • "S" and Composite video switching

Submitted by Gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I shipped my Yamaha back to Malaysia and than change my mind wanted to stay in US. So, I decided to bought a new stereo set again. I just have this unit about a week ago. It sound very good and have a lot of power. Although my Yamaha is slightly better in sound, but I paid US1600 for it. This Denon including shipping only US315 and worth it. Also it has 6 channel discrete inputs and DTS which my Yamaha doesn't have. I still very like Yamaha remote control! Denon remote control had really need to redesign. I never expect with this I can get this kind of quality with this price!

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Fumihiko Rai a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a review for DENON AVR-981.
I got it from ubid. This unit is classified as grade B product. But it looks flawless and sounds perfectly.

The quality of sound is very impressive, just like my another DENON amplifier but with more features in it (such as tuner, DTS, and 5 Channels). It sounds very clear and warn; more detail can be heard from the same picec of music compares to my previous sony receiver.

And it is a perfect match to my little mission 700 speakers; Unlike most of receivers on the market, the sound it outputs is accurate and well balanced, not too artificial or too much bass (SONY).

It's a solid and powerful receiver, I recommend this receiver to the people who are looking for upgrading their current entry model unit to a decent, smooth and honest receiver. Really, I can tell the differences; and it takes you to another level of music =^..^=

I am really happy with this DENON receiver.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Arthur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent receiver, identical to the AVR2800, and I got it at a great price from ubid. It's refurbished but looks flawless -- all factory original box content and not a speck of dust nor a single fingerprint on the receiver -- and performs perfectly. I use all four preouts provided with outboard power amps, leaving only the surround speakers powered by the receiver itself. The AVR97 is extremely noise free and there are no startup thumps from the preouts (I leave my power amps on). This receiver is complex and takes a while to learn, but it remembers its settings for each input and thereafter ordinary use is simple. It has a few weaknesses already discussed in other reviews of the AVR97/2800, but the performance and value easily outweigh these.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
My wife thought that I was NUTS for buying another receiver just a year after getting the Sony STR-DB930......
Then I hooked it up....set up the speakers via the monitor and blasted off.....oh the sound....very warm and realistic...and using the straight off the disc input (no soundfields) like I had to do with the Sony to create the warmth....
We listened to the exact same cds on the exact same dvd/cd player.....oh the sound!!!!!
Was real lucky...got this on Ubid.com for what I have since learned was a killer low price at $345 (this guy retails for $899) but this one is refurbished by Denon (still had the shipping label from Denon in NJ to Ubid)and carries a 90 day warranty...this puppy looked brand new right out of the box..and the build quality is very good...I have honestly not found any faults with this receiver....runs moderately warm-not hot (cooler than the Sony)has hella power..well laid out controls....manual that (like all pacific rim companies)leaves a lot to be desired by not explaining all the features.....still trying to figure out if I can dipole my front speakers...but basically everything is there....sort of....
But the SOUND!!!! and especially the five channel stereo... that ONE feature alone would take my business away from most of the other players-especially at these price points....
Really recommend that if you are even thinking about these that you had better move fast 'cause they don't make them any more and the supply is dwindeling (but the prices are great)....and the SOUND....

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Dirk Erickson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Just got his thing today, and it sounds great. It is a refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty (hope I never have to send it back, but never heard of any problems with Denon) Now I know what I've been missing form my little Aiwa system. Never again will I buy from them. My bookshelf system was good for about 1 year and then the CD player went bad. It sounded ok for a cheap system though. This Denon sounds so realistic its incredible. Happy day for me, got my new Audiosource SW-15 powered sub today too and it rocks. Blows my old Infinity BU-2 out of the water, and it was cheaper too.

My sytem:
Denon AVR-97

Audiosource SW-15 sub

Infinity RS 10b bookshelf speakers (modified with a Phoenix Gold Saphire series 6 1/2 woofer) These are my pride and joy. Way better than my friends Paradigm surrounds.

KLH model 23 floor speakers (also modified with 10" JBL GT carsubs) These are old school, huge, and heavy, but they get the job done.

CSB 1206 BLK: