Denon AVR-5600 A/V Receivers

4.14/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

Submitted by spicy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned this receiver since new, and paid about $4000 for it. I play it loud and often and have no complaints other than the the radio tuning (very user unfriendly).... but everything else is awesome. super strong amp, and wonderful sound (i have bipolar "P-Reference" speakers). 5 speakers cost $6000 when i bought them. This Receiver truly is awesome!

Submitted by AudioPhileExpert101 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Denon AVR-5600 is a very strong performer and is a great bargain in the used market. It truly is a heavyweight with tons power, but is that all it is? Not really, but sometimes I do find myself disappointed with the musical detail this amplifier produces with certain speakers. I've never really had any complaints with it during a good 5.1 movie or theatre setup, it's only during stereo music listening where it seems to be shallow and rather harsh sounding. It really did well with my Klipsch RS3's in a stereo musical setup, but it sounded pretty bad with a pair of my NS-1000M's. While It's hard for me to justify calling this amplifier unmusical just because it didn't make the famous Yamaha NS-1000M's sing like they should, but it's not just them that sounded disappointing. Out of about 20 pairs of mid to high end loudspeakers I've ran through this receiver only about half of them performed well. When using very high end speakers they showed every weakness the AVR-5600 had, but using an average pair of $500-$1000 speakers such as Pioneer HPM-40/60/100's, Klipsch RF3/3.5's, NHT Super Two's, Infinity SM125's to name a few, they really sounded nice. I had a full Klipsch 5.1 Reference 3 setup with it and it sounded great overall. Only when I started playing with different speakers and setup's in 2.1 music listening scenarios did I notice all the 5600's weaknesses. Overall I still rate it a 4 out of 5 since It really performed flawlessly during 5.1 applications and is a work horse. I've beat and beat this thing driving serious speakers hard and it's hold up like a $2800 amplifier should. I once drove a pair of 2 ohm 500 watt continuous each speakers with it! It struggled, but managed to do it without skipping a beat. This was the first Denon I've owned with a disappointing stereo setup so don't try and blame it on my setup. I've had the Denon hooked up in about every possible configuration and currently am using it just as a pre-amplifier with Carver/Sunfire amplifiers. Not bad for my back up system. Soon I will be returning it to 5.1 use where it belongs.

Submitted by tread553 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
i purchased this receiver refurbished for 800.00! it is the best receiver i have ever owned or heard! i have 5 snell model 500 thx speakers connected to it,2 of which are di-poles!with a 500 watt sunfire powered 15" subwoofer.the complete system is thx ultra certified including the marantz dvd player.this system is set-up in a very large room.i entertain often and everyone that hears this system are amazed. they state that it sounds better than any movie theater they have ever been in. the 5 channel stereo sound is to die for. why would anyone want to listen to music in 2 channel.my family refuses to .maybe these people that have complaints about this receiver should purchase thx rated speakers and complete their system correctly. music or movies this baby rocks.i also have a denon remote amp pre/pro connected in another area of my house fed from this receiver.and it feeds speakers throughout the house ,including outdoor speakers. all with the same denon remote!i could care less that it does not have dts. dts is in less than 5% of movies out there and all tests have proven that they are equal. in my opinion dts is a bunch of johnny come lately's! the bass response is excellent and the highs are never tiring or too bright!and the power output is incredible! it actually vibrates my home! WHY WOULD ANYONE PURCHASE AN EXTREMELY HIGH-END THX ULTRA HOME THEATER RECEIVER TO LISTEN TO 2 CHANNEL STEREO?THIS DENON ROCKS..

Purchased At:   u-bid

Submitted by Dennis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
A little too easy to blow circuit with need for repair too often. I'd never get it again unless this protective circuit is improved.

Purchased At:   Tweeter,etc

Submitted by Frankie P. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
If your bag is home theatre this receiver is BAD ASS. But unfortunately I'm bored with the whole home theatre deal. I am going to get back into good old fashioned stereo music. That is where the 5600 fails music through my Def-Tech 2000 sounds to high even with 500 watt subs in each. But if your looking for excellent home theatre dynamics and punch look no further this baby delivers the goods. Excellent channel seperation and oodles of power and a 1st rate pre-amp section. If you want a great home theatre system this is the way to go if you can find them. If not E-Mail me and I'll sell you mine.

Purchased At:   United Audio