Denon AVR-2802 A/V Receivers

4.6/5 (100 Reviews)

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver

Submitted by Terence Parrish a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
Yes I do consider myself an audiophile (you see in a word, an audiophile is a lover of audio). Audiophiles are generally thought to be persons who have and spend an unlimited amount of $$$$$ on their equipment, and some of them are fortunate enough to be able to indulge themselves. I was not born in those circumstances, but I do have "golden ears". I am a 59 year old African American, I drive a forklift in a wharehose in Balto, Md. Since the age of 12 I have tried to improve on the sound quality of our family's t.v., stereo, and anything that played sound. Being an avid reader of all types of audio video mags. and listening to sound systems of friends who had low to high end systems, I knew "the sound" I was striving for. To get to the point, I ran my left/right surround (low level outputs) into a yammy receiver, rxv495, This extracted a center surround, and the left/right, and I used the extracted "rear" as height surround. In 2012 I saw the avr2802, that I read so much about in a pawn shop, it went for $159.00. I have a samsung bd player with 7.1 analog audio output going to the 2802 analog inputs, the yammy controls the left/right/center rear as well as the effect speakers. This setup yields 10.2 channels of beautiful audio by way of the analog inputs on both the yammy and the denon combined, or 6.1 through just the avr 2802. My vinyl never sounded better (Coltrane, Miles, Rollins, etc) SACD's through my Sony (multi as well as 2 channel). As you can see from my review, it does not require $$$$$$ to acheive high quality sound!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Chief Wiggum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this reciever when I was in college and had some cheap JBL's with big woofers. It sounded good for parties but now I have some better speakers, Paradigm Monitor 7's and it sounds very lifeless and thin. I replaced it with a NAD T753 and the NAD puts this unit to shame soundwise. No comparison. The NAD is much more open and lifelike. Also it is only rated at 70 watts per channel while the 2802 is rated at 90 per channel but the NAD is actually much more pwerful.

I used to think Denon was good stuff until I got out of college and now have a little more money to spend on AV Equipment. After I bought my Paradigm's I auditioned recieversd and separates from NAD, Rotel, Arcam, B & K, Anthem, and Sunfire. Denon can't hold a candle to any of these brands which can be had for the same price as some of Denon's upper tier stuff or even cheaper.

IMO Denon is mass market junk that is nowhere near audiophile.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by posta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
good 4 the money but if you could a separte apower amp like a rotel 1075 this compo will in fact will kick any rec. at any price by far. You would have to buy denons new flagrec. $6000 I say it graet 4 movies only but could be a beast if used as a pre amp iuse B&W 602 s3 they need power more than what the 2802 gives you

Purchased At:   goodguys

Submitted by eganemjr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Awesome Home Theater Receiver. I have used this receiver for over a year and I still love it. I have added a Rotel power amp for the two front channels to listen to stereo. I bought this receiver to replace a Digital Sony which was a piece of junk. Nothing better at this price and I auditioned plenty.

Purchased At:   Home Theater Store i

Submitted by SBIGYNK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
FANTASTIC RECIEVER FOR THE PRICE. EVEN BETTER THATS ITS DROPPED ABOUT 200 DOLLARS IN PRICE. POWERFUL CLEAN SOUND. I'M USING KLIPSCH SB-3'S AND KLIPSCH CENTER-RC-3II AND SOUND IS AMAZING. I'M SURE THERE IS SOMETHING BETTER OUT THERE BUT NOT AT THIS PRICE. I DO AGREE WITH EVERYONE ON THE TERRIBLE REMOTE, SO I WOULD ADVISE TO GO TO E BAY AND LOOK FOR A DIFFRENT ONE, THATS WHAT I DID AND GOT THE REMOTE FOR THE 3803 THAT RUNS EVERYTHING LIKE THE ORIGANAL REMOTE. THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET COULD BE BETTER TOO. I'VE HAD THIS ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF TO REPLACE MY SONY STRD????-FORGOT THE MODEL # AND IT BLEW IT AWAY.

Purchased At:   OVATION