Denon AVR-1700 A/V Receivers

4.36/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Home Theatre Receiver (w. Dolby Digital)

Submitted by RICK HARRIS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
NEED TO FIND OUT HOW TO GET THE STANDBY LIGHT OFF, STEREO DOES NOT PLAY ANY SOUND. CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THANKS ?.

Submitted by hawkton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased the unit 5 years ago and it is still working fine. The building quality is superb, like all Denon receivers. Dolby Digital was the reason of purchase. 5 channel stereo is the best feature of the receiver. I really have no complaints about this receiver. It has bannna post connectors for speaker connections. The sound quality is very good for its price. The only thing worth mentioning is that when the input digital signal changes format, it doesn't always recognize the signal. For example, I connected my computer's coaxial output to it. But every now and then, when I start to play DVD movies on my computer, I get no output. When this happens, I just turn it off and back on again. (you may have to wait 1 or 2 seconds)

Purchased At:   http://www.buy.com/

Submitted by Fred Bush a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This Reciver Has realy freaked me out.
I didn't like it at first but when I learned some of it. It's the best I've ever owned. cut back on all of your effect levels and volume controlls and notice how it clears up more each time you cut back. cut back on all levels the reciver has . Jazz -mono- games-matrix and other.

Purchased At:   Hoopers in Laurel,MS

Submitted by N/A N/A a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the reciever at a pawn shop for 300 bucks, and every since ive owned it, it has done nothing but serve me well. It has good 5.1 surround, and even though the Bi Wire feature is just a dup. of the other channels, its still a cool feature cause you can have 8 speakers running great digital surround. It makes a great tool for home theater and media work as well for connection to a computers sound card.

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Submitted by Brooks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great start-up receiver if you are just getting into a HT. It has a lot of features for a unit in the price range, you can get it for $200 or $300 dollars now at some internet sites. I have read many negative comments about all Denon manuals, but I have never had a problem. If you know anything about audio equipment, you don't even need to read the manual. If I do have a question I just turn to the section I need and read what it says. I have never found it confusing or hard to understand, but maybe I just have more audio knowledge than most. The DD decoder is great, my system sounds as good as much more expensive receivers. It doesn't have a lot of power though, if you have a big room, or like to listen are very high levels. Don't worry about the lack of a DTS decoder, they are just starting to come out with DTS software in decent numbers. I have 28 DVD's, most modern action and praised for their sound, and only one even has a DTS soundtrack. As far as I'm concerned you only need to worry about DTS, if you are interested in 6.1 and 7.1 sound. Anyway, this is a great receiver for the price, and is exactly as advertised. I would recomend it for anyone who wants to jump into building their HT with a solid component. Don't waste your money on a more expensive receiver if you are just going to connect your VCR and DVD player, this one has all you need.

Purchased At:   Local Store