Denon AVR-1600 A/V Receivers

4.09/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

Dolby Digital A/V Receiver • 60 watts per channel • Composite video switching, 3 inputs, 2 outputs • Pre-outputs, Left, Right, Center, Sub

Submitted by jude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
when i start the power on button only the standby red light is on....no display is comming.pls suggest me what to do...have taken to some service guys but could not solve the problem...

Submitted by James Taylor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Unit sounds great, but mine didn't hold up. While listening at 40% of volume for approx. 10 minutes, the power transformer gave out. I removed the transformer and disassembled it. I found a blown 2 amp fuse in the power supply. Of course i'll have to purchase a new one for approx. $125 online. I think it's sad that Denon can't build a better product than this. A 2 amp fuse; not a circuit breaker or something you can access. Sad.

Purchased At:   Ovation

Submitted by Matthew Klein a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great receiver, but I just needed to post this comment, the center channel on this unit is pathetic, I am listening through an AR 4-way center, and it sounds like the people's vocals are being recorded underwater, they are so quiet and muffled. I am now selling this receiver to get one w/a better 5.1

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Andrew Puckridge a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I read A lot of the reviews here before I went out and bought this little Item. It was on sale here and, having not heard much about it I tried it out. Sounded Good in the Shop (Connected to some KEF Q15.2's Great little speakers BTW). I have been listening to it for 6 months now. I have a large range of musical tastes, from opera/classical right through to limp Bizkit. The sound from this system in stereo mode is good and clean. And it wont make your ears bleed - even at high volumes. This is not saying the system doesnt go loud, just that it is a smooth sound. All of you who stated it isnt loud enough, Must be deaf. I have had this amp at 0 db (range is -60 which you can hear the KEF's at, through to +16) Its a logarithmic scale so 0Db is really loud. I like this cos it means I will never break my speakers.

One funny point though is its insistence that any movie track coded with Dolby Digital Must be sent through the centre channel. As I listen to some of these using two speakers, having all the dialog go into a non existent centre is hard to take, To get round this I just chose a stereo only input to take the video sound feed. I rekon this is just a setup issue, and if the manual was clearer, I would be able to fix it.

All in all its a system which I will probably be listening to (and eNJOYING) for many years to come.

Purchased At:   Klapp Electronics Melbourne

Submitted by Alan L. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I picked up a refurbished unit a little over a year ago from ubid.com for $200. It's hooked up to a Sony S530D DVD player and the Energy Take5 speaker package. This system has provided me with countless hours of movie magic, and as good as the DVD video is, I really believe it's the sound that's the core of my system. The receiver is more than capable of pumping enough wattage to shake my entire apartment. More importantly, the sound is clear and crisp.

It's an excellent unit if you want an inexpensive, quality no frills receiver to experience Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

Purchased At:   ubid.com