Denon AVR-1100 A/V Receivers

3.33/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

A/V Dolby Pro Logic Receiver, 55 watts x 5 channels

Submitted by nec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have just bought it as a replacement for a Yamaha RVX592 receiver.
The Yamaha was a pro-logic and a DD ready
Receiver I had bought as a second hand as well around 6 months ago. (Paid for the Yamaha 120$ back then)
This Denon AVR1100 is also a pro-logic and DD ready receiver.
I can't tell you how much happy I am.
I sold the Yamaha for 135$ a months ago, and got this Denon1100 for the same price.
In short: upgraded for 0$.
And what an upgrade it was!!!
As a proud owner of a good integrated Denon PMA560 amplifier, I can honestly say that this modest and cheap second hand solution was one of my best purchases in my life.
The Yamaha rvx592 I got 6 months ago was a disgrace, And it even gave me ears and head aches after listening to it for more then 30 minutes in a row.
This Denon I bought as second hand was astonishing: the DD sound I am now receiving thru my on board DD decoder I have in the DVD is amazingly clean and strong! In contrast to the very unpleasantly sounding Yamaha rxv592 I had before.
Also, now for the first time, a real music listening can be made with this receiver.
It isn't as good as a strong hiQ integrated, but it surely is 10 times better then the Yamaha 592 I had.
In short:
Among the low cost solution of a pro-logic and a DD and DTS ready receivers,
This monster is one of the best and most cost effective once I have seen and listened to.
I can honestly claim that rivals from other brands, doesn’t sound well as this one for twice the price!

Pros:
Sounds great not only in home-cinema, but also in music.
Bright sound, especially on mid's and hi's,
Great for opera's, woman voices, hi strings notes and flute playing sounds.
Not feathered with garbled fancy features that are really useless,
(See case of Yamaha bulsh...it DSP modes)

Cons:
Could use a little more then 55w per channel,
But what can you expect for so little money. :)

Conclusion:
Grab one of those if you are on that level of budget.

Purchased At:   Used, second hand

Submitted by Amir Yanovsky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have just bought it as a replacement for a Yamaha RVX592 receiver.
The Yamaha was a pro-logic and a DD ready
This Denon AVR1100 is also a pro-logic and DD ready receiver.
I can't tell you how much happy I am.
In short: upgraded for 0$.
And what an upgrade it was!!!
In short:
Among the low cost solution of a pro-logic and a DD and DTS ready receivers,

Pros:
Sounds great not only in home-cinema, but also in music.
Bright sound, especially on mid's and hi's,
Great for opera's, woman voices, hi strings notes and flute playing sounds.
Not feathered with garbled fancy features that are really useless,
(See case of Yamaha bulsh...it DSP modes)

Cons:
Could use a little more then 55w per channel,
But what can you expect for so little money. :)

Conclusion:
Grab one of those if you are on that level of budget.

Purchased At:   Used, second hand

Submitted by stu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is not a bad receiver. The bass control is not very adiquite. Aperson must turn the nob all the way up for good bass. If the nob is not turned all the way up, then most bass disappears. For home theater, the center channel sound is a little muddy (an effect only heard in larger rooms). If you use this reciever in a smaller room you are fine. If a person is planning to buy this receiver as a home theater unit, all I have to say is there are better receivers to do the job. If a person is buying the receiver for music I would tell them go ahead, as long as they have a subwoofer. The receiver has more than ample power to push my Infinity overture 3's. I feel this receiver is a good product if it is used for less than 40% movies and more than 60% music. I have used this product for over 2 years. It is now on my low grade HT system and it does the job fine. If you are planning to go DD or DTS keep on looking.

I will give this receiver a 3.5 stars due to no optical input and muddy center. Since the rest gave 3 stars I will give 4 stars. This receiver is only mediocre.

Submitted by Nitrous a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
This amp is perfectly suited for a set of polk audio RT1000(I/or/P) with the powered subs in the towers. Unless you plan on running a powered sub with it, or are not a real enthusiast not the best buy. The amp is good clean power, and with the right speakers can be suited for everyone. It is a very good quality product from a reputable manufacturer.

Final Thoughts - great all around amp for the money, better than the generic crap on the market, but not a top player.

Submitted by Charles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
This receiver definitely deserves more than 3 stars. I find it to be adequately powered for a relatively low priced product at 55 watts x 5. It does not have the same resolution of details with music as the Nad 310 integrated it replaced, nor does the signal to noise ratio seem quite as good. However, there is plenty of punch and it is very easy to use. Only a few sound processing modes, which is fine by me since such "features" simply distort sound anyway. Build quality seems good, switches do not feel cheap to me, other than the clicking sound of what I assume are relays inside when changing from one source to another. Tuner provides great reception, clear and quiet stereo in my semi-rural environment.

Overall, I'm pleased with this unit at $500 Canadian. It blends well with my Paradigm Atoms and Axiom powered sub. Have not noticed any lack of bass, but then again have always used the sub and the Atoms don't have much real bass anyway. No receiver in this price range can match a good integrated amp for stereo music listening but I think this one certainly outperforms others such as Kenwood or Technics for the same dollars. And if you have Dolby Digital built into your DVD player like I do, you can enjoy this audio format via the 6 channel input. Less expensive than going with a full Dolby Digital receiver. Finally, 55 watts x 5 plus powered sub is enough for most medium sized rooms. I find this system to have far more punch than when the Nad was in use.

Not "high end", but higher than the standard mainstream crap for only a little more cost.

60.0 WA BLACK: