Aiwa AV-DV70 A/V Receivers

3.71/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Submitted by liquidtrav a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought a 95 silverado extended cab that came witha n aiwa cdc-x927. My only problem with it is whenever the volume is to loud the faceplate will shutoff for around 4secs. then come back on. Is this normal. The driver side rear speaker is blown out. Could this be the problem. please write me at liquidtrav02@hotmail.com if you know.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Shawndra Dailey-Peeks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I would like to post a complaint on an AIWA product. I am not very good with picking out electronic equipment, however, I love to listen to music. I purchased an cd changer for my car (an AIWA 6 disc changer). And it is terrible. I have had to return it twice and it is on the blinks again. All were replaced with a new changer (same product) and they all come up with the same error all over again. I have continually had to spend money on this product having to have it taken out, put back in, taken out again, and so on and so on and at the same time I have to repurchase the electronic insurance warrenty with each new I get. This has become one big headache. And all this in less than a year. This entire line of products is defective. Do not purchase AIWA cd changers. If you know a way for me to post my complaint so that it can go directly to AIWA let me know!

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
ok, let me describe my self first. i normally use and work with much better equipment than aiwa, and i happen to have a bias against manufacturers like aiwa. i work with and am friends with numerous highend dealers and distributers. becuase of this connection i often take home stuff to review, or for fun. i love taking home stuff i can afford. no, im not a reviewer for any magazines, in fact im 19 and in college. you probbably wonder how i work with these companies, im good at what i do, listen. i listen to music and understand what im hearing better than most, sorta a golden ear, but dont cost what a veteran audiophile does. i can fix system problems. ok so on to the aiwa. this unit worked well in surround sound. i had it hooked into my refrence rig, in other words the stuff i own. i own a sony dcp-s550d dvd players, a denon dcd-1650ar cd player, anthem mca 5 5 channel amplifier, ARC dual 76a tube amp, perreux sm-6, b & k refrence 10 surround preamp, and Jmlab's electra 905 main speakers with matching surround equipment. as you can see this is much better quality. so when i took the aiwa, i also grabbed a marantz sr5000. ok so what did i find. well i dont agree with any of the reviews here. it sounded ok, lacked detail, was harsh on voices and highes, destroyed the soundstage, but was still clean and powerful. bass was kinda loose, and lacked oomph. i found the marantz to sound much better, like my refrence rig almost. i am very impressed with its power, control, detail, midrange warmth. everything about it was better. in fact the only other recievers i have used like it are usually somewhat more expensive. i think that denon, yamaha, onkyo, and harmen kardon are all good competetors at this price. i feel that for the list price of 600 dollars many competetors make something better. the only person i would recomend this to is a deaf teenager who like gizmos. it has lots of usless toys. dont buy this, aiwa no longer makes a good product.

Submitted by Chris Meierling a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is plain and simply a great machine. Stylish, easy to use, great remote, etc

Submitted by Net-Monster a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
As someone else mentioned, the receiver shuts itself off if you accidentally hook up the speakers in a manner which might overload the circuits. Just unplug it and plug it back in and you're good to go. This might not seem so important until you're staring at a darkened receiver and wondering if you've blown the amp.

This model came on the market just before DTS started becoming popular, so it doesn't have DTS decoding capability. It does, however, have the AC-3 Dolby Digital 5.1 chip built in. Power output is 120 watts to the front and center speakers, and 60 watts to the surrounds. Using it with Bose 301's in the front and Klipsch SS-1's in the rear, I've never had to boost the volume past the midway point of its range.

Contrary to what others have stated, I found the remote (and the front panel controls) easy to use once I learned how. I don't use the remote to control other devices, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

Also contrary to what others have said, this unit *does* have separate bass and treble adjustment. Bass can be set at four different levels using the "T-Bass" button. I've found that boosting it to its second level is as high as I ever need to go. Treble can be enhanced with the "BBE" button, but this option only works for analog sources. When playing a CD or DVD, the BBE button is inoperative.

The one thing I'm not altogether happy with are the preset equalizer settings. Why couldn't they just give us the slider bars and be done with it? Instead we get settings such as "Rock", "Pop", Jazz", "Arena", "Dance", and the like. What's worse is that the manual does an absolutely abominable job of describing what each setting does in terms of frequency boosting and attenuation, so it's all trial and error. Usually, I just bump the T-Bass setting to its first level above zero, and leave the equalizer settings off. Unless someone complains that I don't have a subwoofer - then I set it to "Rock", pump up the volume, and shake the walls. Heh.

Premier Mounts: