Stax SRS-4040 Signature System II A/V Preamplifier

5/5 (1 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

STAX SRS-4040 Signature System II Headphone and Amplifier system.

Submitted by Svein Erik Bakken a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Have owned many Stax Earspeakers over the years and was looking forward to listen to the system II .
And at first when I listen to it I thought the sound was a little "dull" so I let it stand running for some days.
And then the magic happent, the sound was no more dull, it was starting to open up, the soundstage was as wide as I ever has heard and the mids and treble was just amazing, I was after a few days not satisfy with the bass, dont take me wrong it played very deeeeep, but at first it was a little tame.
But as I have been playing now for more than 3.months the sound still is getting better and better, and now it plays bass line with a punch I has not heard from Stax before, I know that the Earspeaker is the same SR-404 from before, so the guys at Stax must have done some magic with the Tube amp, so if you buy this set, let it play for a long time before you do some serious listening, if you have the time to wait you will be rewarded with some amazing sound.
I used this together with Cary CD303/300, Wireworld Eclipse 5.2, the connection was balanced. I also used Wireworld Aurora 5.2 power cords on both.

Sennheiser: