ROTEL RTC-940AX A/V Preamplifier

Tuner PreAmplifier Combination

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased this while my Linn Classik was in the shop being serviced. It is a nicely built unit, pleasant looking, and very nice sounding.

As a stand alone tuner, it's a sleeper. The other person who wrote a review here and stated that the tuner was only acceptable, may have had unit that was not functioning properly.

The tuner section of the RTC 940 AX is actually surprisiingly good, with an articulate, warm midrange that faithfully honors the music. The 940 allows you to listen to music for hours on end without becoming fatigued. And while it is not the DX champ of tuners, it does an excellent job of pulling in quite a few stations.

At the $134 price I paid for it, I'm extremely satisifed. I would say that soncially, it's on par with my NAD 402 tuner, which the British Hi-Fi Press raved about in 1994; one magazine naming the 402 the best tuner of year. However the 940 is clearly a notch up in build quality.

If you happen to find on Ebay is nice shape -- especially with the box and at least one remote (the tuner remote or the system remote), at a decent price, I'd snap it up. It's a work horse of a component which spends much time in my system while giving some of my more expensive tuners are breather in between listening sessions.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by James a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This unit replaces an NAD 7240 Receiver, which I was using as a tuner/preamp. I am not going into any detail on the sonic quality of this unit other than to say that it is very satisfactory for my use. I purchased the unit new in 1998 and it has been in continuous service since that time. I normally leave the unit on 24x7 and turn the lolume down when I'm away.

The reason I dislike the remote control so much is because the handset is designed to control a variety of Rotel products (e.g. CD, Amplifer, Preamp, etc.) from the remote. This is an okay idea except that the handset has 58 very small buttons and the button labels are difficult to read. Also the handset operation is quirky in that the volume control sometimes switches the inputs or station selection. Eventually, I'll throw out this remote and replace it with a universal programmable type.

Submitted by WD a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
Great sound, especially with B&W 600 speakers, and yet simple to use. I've been very happy with this unit for a long time. For even better $ value, looking for a used one at near 1/2 new retail price!

Submitted by rpp a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:
Sounds good, but has some drawbacks. No phono preamp. Only 1 tape out. Tuner is satisfactory, but not outstanding. Combined with Rotel RB-971 amplifier and RCD-975 CD player. After about 75 hours of burn in, it sounds pretty smooth and open.

High End: