ROTEL RSP-975 A/V Preamplifier

4.67/5 (18 Reviews)

Dolby Digital preamplifier/processor

Submitted by Philip Wong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got my RSP-976 together with the RMB-1075. It has been with me for almost close to a year now & has serve me well with 0 failure rate or problem. This is in spite of hot & humid weather here in Singapore. Thumb up 4 e reliability factor.

Another strong factor which is pretty amazing considering their performance is the price factor. This combo cost me 2.5K & e closest rival from Parasound & Nad cost at least a grand more.

I paired the processor & amp with a set of Mission speakers consisting of the 774, 77c1 & 77ds. Subwoofer is the REL Strata III.

In term of surround capability, I would say its pretty good.. punchy, clear, clean sound with accurate multi-channel steering. However, I must say it still doesn't sound rite 2 me in e sense that I always felt something is missing. I'm not sure what it is but its not up to my mark yet.

But e real killer is the stereo performance!! Hook it up thru e 5.1 discreet in & walah... great focus & soundstage comparable to those entry to mid range integrate amp.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the set... including the remote which most owner of 976 come to hate. In fact, I like it so much that I have condemned all my remote & replace them with this felo.

Next in my upgrade plan is to ditch the Mission.. get some kick ass speakers from B&W, M&K & etc. Bet that will solve e missing end!

Submitted by Jay3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
The RSP-976 worked very well out of the box. The connectivity is very flexible. Some quirks: OSD does not work with S-video. The unit developed a bug wherebythe center channel dies out sporadically during a movie. Tried to use the DB25 using the DVD player's DDconverter. The center channel did not come through at all. Used a continuity tester to check the cord and it was fine.
Sound quality is a bit darker than the Sony onboard DD converter. Overall it is OK for the money, but I am taking off points for quality control. I think I will trade this for the Sonic Frontiers AVM12

Purchased At:   Audio Nexus, Summit

Submitted by Teekster a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I upgraded my HT setup from a Yamaha DSP-A2070 after holding out for years on the whole Dolby Digital thing. I had spent a significant amount of money on the Yamaha and was looking for something that would equal it sonically.

I initially looked at the Denon 4800. I purchased it as well as the Rotel RSP-976 and 1075 amplifier and brought it all home. I hooked up the Rotel equipment and was immediately blown away. Despite the significant lower price of the Denon, I never even bothered to hook it up. So far, it has been an incredible centerpiece for my theater. I am running a total of 3 zones from it as well. The unit has assignable digital inputs which add to the versatility. I don't knbow what hiss some of the other reviewers are referring to. It might be coming from their amplifiers. With these two pieces, I hear blissful silence without any source input. The few weaknesses are the remote (switch to a pronto. Rotel even provides ccf files on their website for it), and the fact that it misses the first second or so of a digital input. Additionally, the interface could be a little more user friendly.

The next least expensive separate pair that I looked at was $1000 more expensive. I don't think that you would need to justify that with this purchase.

I am using the following with this combo:

Kef reference model 2 (2)
Kef Model 100c (1)
Kef RDM-1 (2)
Paradigm PS-1200 (1)

Purchased At:   Sound Center

Submitted by andrewb773 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
In the last two months I have had the following devices as my preamp/processor- Newcastle AVP-9080, NADT751 receiver, Adcom GTP-760, and now the Rotel RSP-976. The Rotel is the best of the bunch. One thing I cannot understand though, is why these less expensive pre/pro's are so noisy. There is a very distinct hum and hiss in each of my speakers within 2 feet using the Rotel. With the Adcom, the hum and hiss plus a high shrill was auidble very easily from the listening position. The Newcastle was dead quiet on its 5.1 inputs, but had a slight hum on digital sources. All in all it was very quiet, though. The NAD was pretty quiet too. Note- my system is DEAD quiet with just the amp (Carver 806x) engaged.

Anyhow- back to the Rotel. This is the best sound front end I have had the opportunity to own. Perhaps the biggest improvement over the others I mentioned is 2 channel. Very detailed and balanced with a nice soundstage. Home Theater is excellent as well. I am hearing details I never noticed in the past on my old favorites. The unit is a little bright, though, sometimes harsh depending on the source. It could use a Cinema EQ feature, especially as the tone controls only affect the mains.

The analog 5.1 passthrough is a nice feature to. It does a very good job. Not quite as well as the Newcastle, but more than good enough. Much better than the Adcom ( the worst piece of gear I have ever owned) and better than the NAD.

Setup is a bit quirky, and as I have experienced with my other equipment it likes to clip audio during transitions, is sometimes slow to decode a digital signal, and ocassionally pops or crackles during a transition.

All in all a great pre/pro for the money. I think I will hold on to this one for a while.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this preamp along with a RMB-1075 amp to replace my Yamaha RX-V596 receiver. I had to do something before the brightness made my ears bleed.

Thankfully my favorite dealership let me demo this stuff fairly thoroughly. I was impressed in the store, and even moreso when I got it home and hooked up.

So far, I have been amazed at the difference in spatialization, soundstage accuracy, imaging, and clarity - especially when using it for HT. I never realized that there could be so much difference in surround sound decoders.

Another improvement that I was not expecting at all came when I turned on my TV. I didn't replace any video cables at all. The picture clarity is definitely better with this preamp than with the Yamaha receiver. I'm confident that this isn't imagined because I had no complaints about the picture quality with the Yamaha (until I realised how much better it could get), and one of my friends commented on it. I did reapply Caig Labs' Pro Gold to my interconnects, so that *might* account for some of the improvement.

The setup menus aren't necessarily bad, but they're nothing to write home about. They get the job done. This preamp isn't loaded with bells and whistles, so these basic menus are adequate.

The RR-969 remote is shockingly bad though. After trying to directly change my sources for about five minutes, I gave up on this remote and downloaded the codes for my Pronto. Rotel is so awesome - the Pronto codes are actually on their website! I have since played with the Rotel remote a little more with no more luck. No - I'm not very patient with it. I thought (and so did tons of other people) that the Yamaha remote was bad, but at least I could get it to do what I wanted it to within a reasonable amount of time.

All things considered, this preamp is perfect for my use. It is extremely accurate and does not seem to color the sound. I can't add much more to the other posts. If you are looking for a good no-frills preamp to get the job done, try this one out.

Purchased At:   Mr. Toad's