Parasound AVP-1800 A/V Preamplifier

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Bink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I did not have any of the problems that the others on this post seem to have had. I had an issue with the Dolby Digital processing... did not sound quite right, which Parasound quickly fixed under the 10 year warranty. That's right... if anything goes wrong with this they fix it free of charge for 10 years.

Overall, this unit does fantastic Dolby Digital and DTS processing. This unit replaced my Parasound PSP-1500 and PDD-1500 combo solidly. Does it sound better?... I did not notice a specific improvement, but it blends the capabilities of both previous units into a single chassis with the addition of a tuner, which is a plus. At this price point, I don't believe that there is another AV Preamp that comes close. It's video switching and DVD audio processing is great. It also comes with a 5.1 input for SACD and DVD-Audio. Inputs are assignable and the remote is easy to use. Setup is easy as well. The unit is built solidly with gold RCA connectors and all the inputs and outputs you could need on the rear.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Joseph Radice a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
This may be nit-picking but I can't stand the pops and clicks this pre-amp made when starting/pausing a signal. My cheaper Yamaha doesn't do that.

I also got some 60-64db buzzing on only the digital signal when it was played through a DVD player. (my CAL CD player has digital out and didn't seem to have the buzzing) Swaped DVD players, tried 3 prong to 2 prong plug adapters, tried with a line conditioner, tried cables, tried RFGL isolator, etc, etc. Nothing worked until I took my Yamaha RX-V793(which has pre-outs so I could make sure it wasn't the amps) and the buzzing went away and so did the poping and clicking (Parasound techs said the poping and clicking is normal...what!!!). Took it back to Good guys and tried it on there system to make sure it wasn't maybe my house or something else(believe me I tried everything in the known universe) and it did it in their systems. They tried their demo model and it did it too. Parasound is supposed to send Good Guys a brand new one and we'll see if it does it too.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Mark Reynolds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
The first one I purchased sounded O.K. but it would not do 5.1, DTS worked and stereo but each time you put it to Dolby Digtal the sound would go on and off. I returned it and Good Guys gave me another one. I put it into my system and this one everything worked but it sounded thin, cheap and cloudy. So I returned that one, the Good Guys wanted to give me another but I wasn't in the mood for more disappointment.
Best advise is don't buy this unit.

Purchased At:   Good Guys