EFE Technology PRO-ONE A/V Preamplifier

Passive processor converts stereo signal to 5ch surround

Submitted by Walter3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased the PRO-ONE in 2012 although the "model year" on this post ends at 2010. The PRO-ONE is the brain-child of Mr. Ed Frias, owner and CEO of EFE Enterprises. This unit is the brain of my system; without which I could not listen to PURE UNADULTREATED stereo in surround sound mode; something most "audiophiles" would balk at.

What does the PRO-ONE DO and NOT DO and what differentiates it from other Processors including processors (Lexicon) in the $10k range?

The PRO-ONE is a purely passive (no active circuits) 5 channel analog "surround sound decoder". It delivers a PURE stereo signal... 100% to the L. Front and 100% to the R. Front to control "steering" of the stereo image. It then combines 50% of the L. stereo signal + 50% of the R. stereo signal to the Center (mono) Speaker WITHOUT taking ANYTHING away from the L. and R. (Fronts) stereo signal. This results in a greatly enhanced center sound stage as opposed to the "sweet spot"; usually reserved for one listener... the dedicated "audiophile". The decoder sends a "full frequency range" mono signal, down to 40 Hz., to the Rear speakers. An additional Aux-out is also available for a Sub-Woofer.

Being a purely passive "decoder" with no active circuits, the PRO-ONE, by itself, cannot produce ANY noise in the signal path. It is designed to accept the low voltage most pre-amps produce and is located between an active pre-amp and power amp(s). I have three power amps connected to my PRO-ONE. One, 4 channel, amp in bridged mode delivering 450 watts RMS / channel into the 8 ohm Mains. A second, 2 channel, amp delivering 150 watts RMS / channel into the 8 ohm Rears and a third amp delivering 150 watts RMS into the 8 ohm Center channel speaker. I have no speaker hiss with the 5, PRO-ONE, volume controls set at max. My Mains are EFE T-50's; my Center the EFE C-20 and my Rears the EFE T-42's. My Sub is a Martin Logan “Depth”. My power amps are ATI, Pre-amp is a super clean Sony TA-E77ESD and my DVD player is an Oppo Blue Ray.

So what differentiates the PRO-ONE Decoder from Processors with respect to how Pro-Logic (Dolby Digital), Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS formats are handled? DD, DD 5.1 and DTS formats quench the sound coming from the Main speakers (i.e. take away from) in an effort to emphasize the Center channel and at the same time muffle the sound to the Rear channels. As a result, poor stereo steering and placement of instruments (imaging) can be lost and ambient (Rear) sounds come across as un-natural. With the PRO-ONE, the stereo signal sent to the Mains is NOT processed so the Center channel is also not compromised. The PRO-ONE sends the stereo background signals directly to the Rears via a signal design which takes NOTHING away from Mains. The Main signal is kept pristine and up front where it belongs and the Rears engage only when background signals are truly present.

A $350 “Decoder” v the $10k “Processor”… a no-brainer. I just sit back, smile and enjoy the audio; knowing the needle in a hay stack can be found.

If you’re serious, please contact me at the e-mail address below and I’ll arrange for an A-B against the very best processor on the market. THAT, my friends, IS saying a lot.

Very Best Regards to All,

wandrews3@sc.rr.com

Submitted by Torg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I heard the Pro-One for the first time about 9 months ago when my wife and I visited EFE to demo some of their speakers. EFE's speakers were amazingly good, and we bought 5 of them, but we were totally blown away by a demo of EFE's Pro-One.

You simply cannot believe the sound produced by the Pro-One unless you hear it for yourself. It makes music sound like you have the best seat in the house during a live show. And it makes movies sound accurate: if the movie has a car drive by in front of you, the sound matches it perfectly. All too often other processors make it sound like the car is behind you.

I can't say enough good things about the Pro-One. The biggest problem with it is that EFE does not make many of them and it took me 6 months to get one.

The Pro-One is the best piece of audio equipment I have bought. If you want "live" and "unprocessed" sounding music and movies in a surround sound setting, this is it.

Purchased At:   EFE Technology

Submitted by Mark Valade a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
This little unit is a 5 channel, music "surround processor". The "processing" is purely analog...that's right, no power cord. I recommend this unit for audiophiles who like to hear music via five speakers. I know, audiophiles don't listen to their music through 5 speakers, that's rediculous, right?! Wrong. Clean, clear, unprocessed music. The main speakers deliver only a pure stereo signal, no processing there. The center delivers a mono signal of both right and left channels and the rear speakers an out of phase signal. (There is a little more to it than that, but if I told you any more I would have to kill you.) The result...unflavored, true to life (like all of his products), natural stereo imagery.
Again, I recommend this unit primarally for music listening but it blows away Dolby Prologic as well. Not quite the excitement of Dolby Digital. Lots of music DVDs sound great too.
It is a surprise to me that this breakthrough hasn't captured more listeners. If you don't have one, your really missing out on a wonderful experience. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Wild Bill Ake a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned/operated a Pro-One 5 Channel Surround for approx. 1 year.During this time I have compared its ability to AC-3 ( D.D. ) and DTS
decoders. I find the Pro-One to be superior for both music and movie
sound. While D.D. and DTS seem to send 75-90% of the dialog and music to the center channel the Pro-One spreads the sound out to make it more realistic.
While watching the Eagles, Hell Freezes Over in DTS,I see the drummer in front of me but the sound of the cymbals comes out of the rear speakers. Not so with the Pro-One it sets up a far more realistic sound stage. With the Pro-One I also
have several listening options 2,3,or 5 channel sound.
Because of its affordable price and great versatility.... and of course
great sound !! I rate this unit very highly.

Sennheiser: