Denon AVD-2000 A/V Preamplifier

4.45/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Dolby Digital Decoder/Processor

Submitted by Quagmire a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've owned the Denon AVD-2000 for several years now and initially I purchased the unit to upgrade my DD ready receiver to being fully DD capable. It worked great in this capacity, but over time the receiver slowly got pushed out and was replaced by a good quality multichannel amp: So I use the AVD-2000 as an HT preamp directly connected to my multichannel amp. There are limitations when using the unit this way, but I believe the sleakness, simplicity, and above all else, the sound quality when connected directly to an amp far outweighs these limitations.

The unit has plenty of digital inputs (two optical, two coax, plus RF for laser disc) an optical digital out, plus a discrete 6-channel analog input for connecting other processors/decoders (DTS) or a DVD-A/SACD player. Other nice features are: Cinema EQ, a setting to dim or turn off the display, and the ability to turn off Dolby's Dialog Normalization. This function, which is fairly unique to the AVD-2000, definitely improves the sound quality of Dolby encoded material, bringing it nearly on par with DTS. I also like that you can adjust of the volume and lay over the Cinema EQ to devices which are connected to the discrete analog input. The main limitation is the omition of at least one analog input, primarily for VCR. I used a seperate DPL processor connected to the discrete inputs on the Denon to get around this limitation, but afters awhile I realized that since we began buying and renting DVD's we seldom even used the VCR anymore. Since it is my only remaining analog source, I made the decision to remove it from the audio portion of my system and connect it directly to the television so that my daughter can still watch her blasted Barney videos. For us this is a perfectly acceptable trade off.

The unit does run warm as others have mentioned, but I've always provided plenty of ventilation and it has never shutdown or given me any other problems. For the $200 that I paid for it, I could not be more satisfied. When used to upgrade a DD ready receiver as it was designed, the unit performs flawlessly. But in my opinion, using the AVD-2000 directly with good seperate amplifiers really allows the full potential of this little gem to shine through. This is one peice of audio equipment I can honestly recommend without reservations.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Nathan the Limey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Decoding chip is a Zoran, DAC's are Burr-Brown PCM59 & PCM1702's

The volume control range could have been more, at -- it's muted, 40 is one click up, 00 is maximum.

I have taken the PCB board off, turned upside down & drilled between the ventilation holes under the heatsink so more air can flow upwards. Noticed a slight reduction of heat on the top-panel.

I haven't got the Pop like Chris below. There is a relay which mutes the output, perhaps his poweramps revert to full power (with no sound) when no signal is detected? Anyway, there is no problems like that with mine (Audiolab PX poweramps) Chris, set Stereo setting to 00 so it's no so loud at minimum volume.

Even though the bad points are numerous, they're very very minor. 4.5 starts overall. 1 star because it's no longer made!

I use it purely for upgrading my Sony DVD player DAC, Pro-Logic + DD DVD films. I have a Hi-Fi CD, Pre-Power & Poweramp purely for stereo. I prefer the hard switch as they are more robust and it's not in standby all the ti

Purchased At:   Local

Submitted by Levi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great sounding DD processor. I have no problems with it so far. This processor is very clean sounding with great stereo separation that can rival some of the most expensive processors out there. This is also great if you have a portable Mini CD that requires an external digital output. I lucked out on ebay on this.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'd highly recommend the AVD-2000 to anyone who is trying to put together a high-performance home theater on a tight budget. I've used this thing for about three years now and as a dolby-digital processor it is really first rate. I've compared it head-to-head in my home with a B&K Reference 20 ($$$$) preamp-processor and the dolby digital performance is indiscernable. I also had a Sony STR-DE915 receiver and that thing sucked in both amplifier performance and channel separation in DD or ProLogic mode. The AVD-2000 blows it away.

This unit does run hot like others have said, but I've never had it shut down on me. Where this unit really falters is in use as a digital stereo preamp - although I don't think it was really intended to be used that way - the stepped volume control's lowest setting is not low enough if you have really sensitive speakers, even with modest power amplifiers. Also, going from the lowest volume setting to no volume just switches off the outputs and causes a loud, audible static POP! to blast through your speakers. Not exactly refined.

That said, this unit really shines as a DAC / processor. Audio CD's sound much smoother and clearer when using this as an external DAC than with the internal DAC in my Panasonic CLD-D406 laserdisc/combi player, my Panasonic DVD-A310 DVD player, or with my NAD CD player for that matter. Also, as I've said, this thing has outstanding dolby digital performance, and my relatively cheap home theater kicks ass over systems my friends have that cost many dollars more. They are all jealous (couldn't go the way I did due to the spousal acceptance factor of my system being very low as it is complicated to use). If you want a stand-alone DD processor for me this is definately a no brainer if you are on a budget.

For the record, my system consists of:
6 Klipsch KSB1.1 satellites
1 Pioneer CLD-D406 LD player

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by David LI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is a very practicle unit. Great to use as a pre-amp and HT decoder.

Purchased At:   Mail order company