B&K Components Reference 50 A/V Preamplifier

• Dolby pro logic II and DTS Neo:6
  • DTS 96/24

Submitted by juneaudrey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
After we couldn't get our subwoofer to work, we contacted someone from B&K. This person was very helpful but he wanted the unit for upgrades. After we decided to get the upgrades the right channel went out. After this second problem, I returned it to Tweeter. We now own a Rotel 1068.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by 514329 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
my very first separates after using some high end recievers (yam 2090, den 5800 and pio 49tx). I mainly use it on hometheatre so it's very impressive. clean clear sound although setting up is not for begginers though. I got the version 1.04, where I think they corrected those previous bugs.

Purchased At:   listenup

Submitted by comeup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
First I would like to say that I got a super bargin on this piece at 1500 bucs. A year ago it was 2900 dropped to 1999 and now if you could find one 1500 new. I see it on line at 1500 ,but without warranty. It has to be an authorized dealer to receive warranty. Now down to what we really want to hear it sounds great. I was expecting the music to sound awful and it did when I first turn it on heck I was ready to take it back ,but when I tweaked it it came to life. I can't believe how good it sounds the detail is there and the smootheness, warmthness and it is super clean sounding. Before this unit I was using a Lexicon DC-1 controller it sounds pretty good with music, but not as good as this piece. Its now in my garage in the B&Ks' box. I'm not knocking the Lexicon it is a good unit and for its day the best, proccessing has come a long way since 1997. The lexicon will still out perform the average receiver out there today, but the B&K is better by far. I'm listening to it as I write and how good it sounds in every format. For 1500 you get 6 coax inputs, 5 optical inputs, balanced preouts and all the new proccessing except prologic 2X, also it is THX Ultra 2 certified. The B&K really shines when it comes to movies. Now when I first got the Lexicon I thought I heard every detail in movies now I'm hearing new detail all over again.The new Rotel RSP 1068 is 1699 and it sounds good but it has no balanced outs or as many coax inputs or THX and not nearly as tweakable as the B&K. With the right amp and speakers it sounds as good as anything out there in its price range and even a couple grand more. MK speakers are a great match and they really sound good teamed together I have B&W speakers and they sound great also, But in my opinion the MKs' sound slightly better but they also were in a sound room. This unit is also upgradable and has a great remote. For 1500 you get so so much and it sounds so awsome in every format.

Purchased At:   Magnolia