B&K Components Ref 10 A/V Preamplifier

Submitted by George Kerber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
To do it over again, I would not have purchased this preamp! I connect the tape output jacks to other integrated amps for use in the other rooms of my home. When my Pioneer cd player goes from play/stop or stop/play I get a loud pop in the speakers from the remote amps. There is no sound at all from the main power amp outputs in the preamp to my main room power amps, the popping is only heard on the tape output jacks. Therefore B&K is using some different signal path and D/A conversion for the tape output jacks than the main stereo outputs. I contacted B&K tech support and got a surly answer from their person that I was using the preamp wrong! I then wrote a letter to their general manager at least 4 months ago and have never received a response. They have a bug in their product and will not even discuss it. I am not impressed.

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am not happy with this product. Out of the box, no s-video or AC3. Originally wanted to streamline a little and went with AVR101 (after 3 units, with a replacement time of 1 month each) and zero response from B&K about my issues. I was assured that if I went back to separates I would be happy. Why did I want to streamline, space. So I waited for the replacement products, 6 weeks, by that time, the AVR101 was dead, PS failed. Were they WRONG!,the separates aren't any beter. As I said out of the box ref10 was NG. At a close look, it appears to be a refurb, which really has me PO'd. Too bad, I'll never know if the AV5000II is a good amp. They're going back, the search resumes.

Submitted by Jeffrey Horowitz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I took some time to listen to the ref 10 for a few months. I have to say I love it. This is a very versitile preamp/surround processor. I love the analog bypass,the 4ch stereo and it sounds great for dolby digital. Many inputs all with digital inputs and s-video inputs. Also 2 digital outputs(key for recording with my mini disc player). Also, software upgradeable through the RS-232 input. Did not get the ref 20 because I am not ready for DTS until it proves it has staying power. Anyway I just wanted to stress that if you are in the market for preamp/sourround processor under $2000 this is the way to go. Nothing touches it at this price!

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought the REF10 new for $1500.00. It replaced my ADCOM GTP600. The overall performance of the REF10 is excellent.
The Dolby Digital processing perfomed better than I expected. Movies come to life with this unit. Listeniig to music in two channel stereo or three channel hall mode is warm and enveloping. I am really impressed with the assortment of inputs & outputs. The remote control is very flexible with all the operations it can perform, it takes time to program, but it is well worth it in the end.
The only real issue I have with the REF10 is the insruction manual. Take time to play with the settings, it's the best way to figure out how to program the different zone modes to the way you would like them.
I would not hesitate to recommend this unit to anyone!

Submitted by Dan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought the Ref 10 about 5 weeks ago after comparison with Sony ES, Parasound's new one, and the Sunfire. I bought because of great overall flexibility (all inputs have L/R, composite, and S-video, plus 5 coax/optical digital inputs), B&K reputation, pure analog capability, and apparent build quality. So far the unit meets all expectations. Excellent sound quality. The remote is outstanding - the first "universal" remote I've liked enough to use instead of the device-specific remote. Occasional small pop when switching between sources, but no hum or buzz (I was a bit worried after reading about AVR202 receiver). I skipped the Ref 20 to save money and postpone upgrade if I ever see enough DTS available. Unit runs surprisingly warm. Very solid construction. Front panel volume control return-to-center spring is too strong. I'm still playing with the presets. I would actually rate it 4.5 because of the pop but it's more a 5 than a 4. Equipment includes Panasonic DVD120U, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Snell C/V, home-built center channel and powered sub, Kef 101 rears.

FGH 26: