Adcom GTP-760 A/V Preamplifier

3.68/5 (22 Reviews)

Surround preamp

Submitted by blantto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
When I first got this thing I was amazed at how good it sounded. I figured I would wait a while to write a review though, because this thing generates alot of heat I figured something would break on it. Its been more than four years and with two kids at home this thing still sounds as good as the day I got it and nothing has broken on it. I have not even thought about upgrading to 7.1 because this thing does its job in surround so well and even when I listen in two channel mode for music I can just melt into my chair and be part of the music. Was a bit scared about the heat thing at first but, obviously built to withstand that. Love it, and the wife does too.

Purchased At:   Audiogon / Used

Submitted by lspellens@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
After one month in use, the GTP 760 went completely flooey. The volume control would shoot up uncontrollobly and had to be turned down manually to prevent a dB blast loud enough to blow up my Vandersteen speakers.

Fortunately, Adcom fixed the contoller and the unit has worked perfectly every since, now for 3 years.

As sound to me is the most important aspect of a preamp, I am happy with the unit's quality.

As there is no built-in phono section, I use a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 phono preamp, hooked into the CD mode. My CD recorder uses the Tape mode.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by levir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
This Adcom GTP 860 is a piece of c***! I upgraded from Adcom GTP-760 and thought that I will get a better cleaner sound. I was wrong!

This amp is not as clean sounding as the previous 760 model. There is fairly noticeable amount of background noise on all channels. I am so sorry that I have invested money on this. It's garbage! There are other pre-amps out there that is cleaner sounding and has more certifications at this price point.

Purchased At:   Harvey

Submitted by Levi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on the Adcom GTP 760. I have been waiting for this preamp and now I got it! This is the best sounding av preamp for the price. This preamp works great in conjuction with my Adcom GFA 7500 5 channel amp. This preamp replaced separate Denon AVD2000 Dolby Digital decoder and my Millenium DTS decoder. The 5.1 channel separation is very smooth. I could hear details that I have not heard before. The 24Bit processing helps here. As for music, I use the on board DAC converter. I am happy to have bought this preamp. Although it is not perfect, the price is right. I could be happier with a Parasound or B&K which cost double the price I paid. I also auditioned the Rotel's latest pre-amp but was not impressed. sorry. I would recommend this pre-amp for the bargain hunters and for the audio enthusiasts.

Submitted by Dylan Arriaza a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I like this unit. For the price paid, you get lots for your $$. I've had it approx 6 months and it took some time to break in. Nice features include 5ch stereo from 2ch recordings (great for parties, Jazz club sound is quite real, good remote that is brightly backlit.
I didn't get any of the humming that I have heard so much about. I'm a firm believer that the most influential component you can add to your system is ampliphication. Don't skimp....it makes all the difference to have lots and lots of power. I picked up a Sunfire 200W x 5 and my Infinity speakers sound great.

Purchased At:   Federalstereo.com