RCA RCU800 Remote Controls

Universal Home Theatre Remote Control

Submitted by futurecop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this and another RCA 3 device remote at Home Depot as part of a "two for one special" for $15.00. I was already planning on buying a remote control, and waswalking down that isle of Home Depot when I saw this promo package. It saved me a trip to Target or Circuit City.

So far the remote works fine. I also have a RCA-RCU810B remote control, which does a lot more, but it cost $50.00.

The 800 does not control much beyond the basics on my JVC 27" TV 27750, Sony STR-D915 Receiver, Sony CDP-CE505 CD Player, Toshiba M-685 VCR, Aiwa XD-DV370 or my Motorola Digital Cable box. It works all the functions on my ProScan VCR completely (which is logical, ProScan is a RCA step up line). The good thing, is the remote feels well constructed, without being too heavy.

However, my RCA 810, even though it is a learning remote, with all the bells and whistles, controls menu functions and whatnot, even without having to "learn" the codes from the original remotes. And what it won't control by default, it can be taught by the original remote (if available).

The second remote that came in the package, it does even less. But that's fine, it only has to control work a 14 year old Sears TV that was given to me without a remote. That remote can control a TV, basic VCR or DVD functions and basic Cable Box or Satelite Tuner functions. I have not tested the VCR/DVD or Cable/Sat functions at all.

For the price, its a reasonable deal.

Purchased At:   Home Depot