One For All Cinema 7 IQ Remote Controls

4.67/5 (15 Reviews)

7 device learning remote

Submitted by mkatyal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been through remotes including Sony's RM2100, RM2100 is cool but I could not stand the size. Cinema 7 is a great remote, I wanted to put my family room lights on the remote and this remote learned in minutes. All my devices worked after a phone call to technical support, they emailed me advanced codes and I got special buttons to work as well. If you purchase this remote make sure you get advanced codes from OneForAll.

Submitted by Ron Bartyczak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
For anyone who wants an absolutely incredible remote for only $25, this one is it. It is very easy to setup and use and easy to program. I considered touch screen remotes (and may actually get one some day) but they seemed to pricey and I like the "hard" keys.

Here is my story/review:

Over the last year, my wife let me get the home theater I have been wanting for 20 years. I purchased an RPTV, DTV tuner (STB), A/V receiver, DVD player and A/V cabinet. I also kept all the stuff I replaced and moved it to another room. Now my problem was I had more remotes than I knew what to do with. Some of the remotes that came with the equipment claimed to be universal and/or learning. They were very limited. Each would partially learn a couple of my devices. I thought I was going to have to go with something like the Pronto! (touch screen) remote to control all my devices.

I had been using the non-learning OFA Cinema 7 (URC-7200). I had been happy with it until I upgraded. It could control the basic functions of most of my equipment but I typically had to have three other remotes sitting out to do everything I needed to do. While I was looking at the Sony (touch screen) remote at Sears, I happened to see the OFA Cinema 7+ (URC-7800) with 4 learning keys. I thought that I might be able to get by with 4 learning keys per device.

When I found out the remote was only $25, I figured it was a good buy. When I got home, I programmed each of the learning keys with important functions from my original remotes. I was a pretty happy camper. I still had to "remember" some preprogrammed device functions which were on odd buttons on the remote and what was on the "learned" keys. But that was okay since I was able to get along with only one remote.

Then I ran across the websites that describe the almost limitless undocumented features of this remote! I was really excited. I have reprogrammed and moved many of the preprogrammed functions to the correct keys. My "enter" key now controls the "enter" function and my "PIP" keys now control my "picture out of picture" function on my TV. I am now thrilled.

When I purchased the A/V cabinet, I moved all my equipment from the top of my RPTV to the cabinet. Unfortunately, the cabinet had to be positioned at a right angle to my seating position. I thought I was going to have to buy a "remote control extender" to control my system. To my surprise and delight, I found that the remote's IR signal was powerful enough to bounce off the wall opposite the A/V equipment and control all of my equipment. This is one remote that I can truly live with (and don't want to live without)!

I recently purchased a second Cinema 7+ (URC-7801) labelled IQ for my secondary A/V system. The only device that I can't get it to control is my Kenwood RX-V990D receiver. It requires a higher frequency IR signal than standard univeral remotes use. But, since it my secondary A/V system, I guess I can live with using two remotes.

Very Highly Recommended Accessory.

Submitted by Kevin Uncapher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this to anyone, and the price is excellent for all the things it can do. It can learn controls off your old remotes which is nice.

Submitted by Harry a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you just use this remote as documented in the manual that comes with it, it is just an average universal remote that controls "most" devices and is able to learn a few keys per device and program up to 2 macros. This remote really shines when you discover the undocumented features from the user-created FAQs. It turns out that every button can be learned into and re-assigned. When you use this remote to its full potential, it becomes a poor-man's Pronto. To do more, you will have spend much more than $30. I'm very happy that I'm able to put away five OEM remotes and stop juggling them.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by Steve S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Have this all programed.Awesome had 4 remotes now just one.Took a little time to program.But was worth every minute.Macro button is great just hit it and all components turn on.Make sure you get the IQ remote.Highly recommend !!

Purchased At:   Best Buy